Brake Troubles.....

greggo

Hey guys,

Anybody out there know where i could get spares for an AJC brake caliper to fit a 2001 Beta Rev3??? (Either local to Yorkshire or mail order)

I cant seem to get the current one to bleed properly, and it seems as though the bleed valve isn't seating properly when slightly undone. The pistons were also seized when i got it, but managed to free them off, but brakes still real spongy.

I'm thinking new caliper, unless anyone can help with ideas....

Cheers!!

Hi Greggo,

Bad luck mate, you've stumbled across the second worst part of Beta-ness (after stator problems!). It's almost certainly not the caliper and almost certainly bleeding air!

Do a search in the Beta section and you'll find much stuff on bleeding brakes. I've detailed my experiences there. It took me 4 weeks to get the air out of the back brake and that included stripping, rebuilding, and then doing it again on both the caliper and the master cylinder. You're going to need a lot of patience and brake fluid, my friend!

Graham

Is it rear brake? If so, the main problem is that no atter how you hang the master cylinder, there is either an airtrap at the inlet, outlet or the banjo where it goes into the caliper.

Here's what I suggest:

Buy a seal kit for both the caliper and the master cylinder. This will cost you about

bleedin' back brake.You are not alone my friend.I share that Hell with you.Hours in the shed,brake fluid everywhere,contradicting everything I know about bleeding brakes,defying logic,trying to understand hundreds of posted instructions on how to do it,all different but somehow similar.Don't give up.It will happen.It must. As to how where it comes in-the air that is-I read somewhere in my quest that brake fluid eventually boils at a high enough temperature(brake fluid absorbs moisture),therefore bubbles,therefore air and they do get hot.I reckon on mine I let the back brakes get worn way down too low so less thermal resistance and then driving around with back brake on thus boiling the system;maybe.I don,t know but its narking me off big time.Good luck.If anyone comes up with easy monosyllable single line explanations I'd really appreciate it,although Beta manual does and that was a fat lot of help.

Edited by anyoldiron

Just got in having hopefully sorted back brake.For what its worth this is what worked for me.Attach hose to nipple.Add fluid to resevoir.Pump on pedal slowly a few times.Keep pedal pushed down.Open valve at nipple,then close valve.Repeat alot,checking resevoir level

.Then I do the same process with the rear wheel raised 2 foot in the air,then the front wheel in the air,side to side,drive around between bleeds,generally agitate.Most of all patience and repetition,even when no air bubbles seem forthcoming.Hope you have success.

Cheers for the replies fellas...

I've got a new twist to my tale now though...

I've put a service kit in the master cylinder, which is fine, but now, when i open the bleed nipple a fraction to release the pressure, i am getting fluid coming up past the threads, not just from the middle of the valve, and subsequently gett ing brake fluid all over!!

Any thoughts????

Ive just dragged my old 05 rev3 round the manx 2 day for the 3rd year running, not bad going for a modern bike, but after this years expenses of stator, again, hours spent fettling the rear brake and copious other little niggles including rear shocker, this is no 2 since ownership, i have still had to suffer a whole day of riding with the rear shock like a pogostick as the threads in the top cap had stripped, and half a day with no rear brake, that is with new pads being fitted causing lateness :lol: the rear brake bled up, i freed the pistons up, but spent most of the 1st and second day riding a few miles then stopping to splash water to cool it down, then it died on day two. Any suggestions on the brake issues or time to get rid??? She still runs like a dream though :D