Handlebar Jig

neo

Hi All,

I mildly bent my bars a few weeks ago and place an order for some new ones...which I recently got.

I've always been one to change my bars when I've bent them. But I was told (some time back) that you can straighten them if it's just a small bend and if you do it the right way...with a good amount of heat.

I've never wanted to do this because I visualized big burn patches on my bars, which I didn't fancy. But last weekend I thought I had nothing to loose and gave it a go....

I was amazed how easy it was and how the anodizes finish (on my Sherco bars) was hardly tarnished. The hardest thing was knowing which direction they needed to bent back.

So now that I have a spare new set to hand I thought it would be a good time to use these and make an alignment jig. So next time this will be even easier....but I don't know where to start.

Has anyone done this before?....any ideas on how it could be done?

Best of balance.

Neo

PS...I if you choose to do the same thing you do so at your own risk....For a competitive rider I don't think it's worth the risk. Correctly or Incorrectly straighten bars can fracture and break....so if in doubt DON'T DO IT!!!

This is a very bad idea. Don't do it. You can be seriously injured or die if your bars break at an inopportune time. I have first hand knowledge. If my bars had broken just one hour later than they did, I would have ripped my arm open to the bone and possibly bled to death in the woods. Also, if you use conventional (7/8") bars you should also replace them yearly even if they are not bent. I don't mean any offense, I just don't want anyone to get hurt.

I think it is well posted the potential hazards in this!

Yet Neo is still a nutter, and does realize that, and all I can add is my observation that the stock sherco bars do at least tend to bend rather than break. An overstressed Renthal set may not give any warning it seems!

I think one would require a steel or ali plate, precision drilled for a set of bar clamps. Lay a known good set in them and roll them back to mark the parallel lines where the bars ends hit the plate. Etc.

The plate would bolted to a secure level workbench. rotate them verticle to clamp solid for adjustments. As most bends occur directly about the clamp area.

Height can be checked in parallel with the plate or with the scribe line when laid over.

The only rationality of doing all this would be maybe for EMERGENCY SPARES! Otherwise , toss them!

If one were to

need to put them on to complete a trial, they would really need to come off just as quick!

I used to keep spares in the truck, a really cheap set of Hebo's (low rise) and an expensive set of 5.5 Blue Renthals. Now with the fatbars, I have not bent them, some kid on a Gasser 80 needed the Hebo's and those beautiful Blue Renthals remain if anyone needs them. They are 10mm higher than stock Sherco.

:D

Hi all and thanks Cope.

I'm must say that due to my current situation, as the purse strings get tighter and tighter, these "nutter" tactics will become more and more common for me. :rolleyes:

From my prospective I just gotta keep riding and if I kill myself on that BIG ROCK in the process.....well at last I'll be doing what I enjoy most. :)

I'll also add that I'm no fool.....and compared to riding MX "Bent bar Trials" is a calculated risk I'm prepared to take.

Best of balance.

Neo