Montesa 349 Few Questions

branc

Hi

Just got a 349 montesa cota in pretty good nick, needs a few bits done so I need some advice,

Havent ridden it yet but previous owner said the clutch slips a bit and it also seems to drag a bit, sometimes slips while kick starting the bike so I need to know how to adjust or fix this.

fork leg is leaking also, what seals do I need and how much oil and what weight should I use?

Could do with a fresh set of rings and a small end, where can these be bought?

thanks in advance and heres a pic

SL270828.jpg

Try Sandiford's and In-Motion for parts, we have had excellent service from both companies.

We are using 210 cc of 5 weight fork oil with standard springs as a starting point. If it seems a bit softly sprung try adding some more oil in 15 cc steps before experimenting with new springs. We were surprised at the good results we have had this way. Pump the forks up and down a few times before finally tightening the pinch bolt at the bottom of the right hand slider to help align the forks. Also make sure the mudguard brace is not too wide or too narrow between the mounting lugs causing the forks to bind.

Try 300cc of Morris Oils Classic SAE 20 oil in the clutch case rather than modern oil. This oil makes the clutch less prone to slipping, be prepared to change the first fill fairly soon to make sure all the previous oil is removed. Using straight SAE 20 oil is a tip which Kevin Breedon deserves the credit for.

Hi

Maybe just a silly question - about the colour difference on the models

I have owned two 349's - one many years ago & another one I was given by a friend a while back (must still pick it up) - Both of them have been red tank/seat with a black frame - was there a model difference with the red frame & white tank/seat like the one shown ?

Thanks

ian

Yes there are different model 349s

The first model was 1979 and has a red tank with fuel level sight guage in the side of the tank, and has a longer wheelbase than the later models.

The white tank one in the photo is the second model 349 and is sometimes called the "white wonder"

Third and later models also had red tanks.

Regarding the clutch question, I owned a brace of 'em and you can either adjust the cluth to grab in low gears or slip in high gears. There's (AFAIK) any middle point. I went for the clutch slipping in the high gears 'cause it's not really that bad during road work.

• 4 weeks later...