349 With Grey Frame

ianpr

I have managed to get a look at a Cota 349 tha was given to me & was surprised to see a grey frame, red tank & red mudguards - The paintwork looks original - frame/enginenumber is 51M26351

Bike is tatty but all there! It has been standing for years- front shocks are sticking, back shocks may be leaking, motor kicks over with a very healthy compression.

When I get it my plan is to check it over give it a thorough service, chec all the brakes bearings etc. & then take it to a trials

My questions

- Is the grey frame an original colour?

- What should I check/clean service before I try to start her

- Where can I get decent brake shoes - so she stops in the wet

Thanks

Ian

- What should I check/clean service before I try to start her

Air filter

Carburettor

Fuel tank

Fuel tap

Ignition points/timing

Sparkplug

Gearbox oil

Primary drive oil

Cables

Steering head bearings

Swingarm bearings

Wheel bearings

Brakes

Unstick the forks and change the fork oil

Chain and sprockets

- Where can I get decent brake shoes - so she stops in the wet

For best performance in the wet, choose linings that contain metal particles - EBC is one brand like this, and ensure they are radiused to the drum diameter. If the drum surface is worn (grooves), get it machined smooth and round then fit oversize linings radiused to suit.

If it is all original it sounds like you have a Cota 350 - I had one of those from (nearly) new.

It was the last incarnation of the 349 and there are three versions of it, the 349/4 which had grey frame, grey mudguards and red tank, the 350 which had grey frame, red tank and guards and then the MH349. All are the same bike with different colour schemes. Although they use the 349 engine the frame is much modified from the original 349 model and it is a much better bike. The most obvious identifying feature is the swing arm which kicks up at the rear spindle mount.

A bit dated by the time it came out compared to Fantic etc. but still a good bike with one of the gutsiest trials engines ever.

There is also this site which has a picture of the Cota 350 which the Southwest site doesn't

click here

Edited by Woody

Hi

Thanks for all the help - Definitely a Cota 350

With a bit of TLC & work it will be a good bike that will not cost too much to sort & run - Then last bike I owned was a Fantic 300, which I guess has a similar engine characteristics (the more bottom end grunt the more I enjoy riding them - maybe I am getting old!)

Ian

If it is all original it sounds like you have a Cota 350 - I had one of those from (nearly) new.

It was the last incarnation of the 349 and there are three versions of it, the 349/4 which had grey frame, grey mudguards and red tank, the 350 which had grey frame, red tank and guards and then the MH349. All are the same bike with different colour schemes. Although they use the 349 engine the frame is much modified from the original 349 model and it is a much better bike. The most obvious identifying feature is the swing arm which kicks up at the rear spindle mount.

A bit dated by the time it came out compared to Fantic etc. but still a good bike with one of the gutsiest trials engines ever.

There is also this site which has a picture of the Cota 350 which the Southwest site doesn't

click here

Thanks for the web site. Lots of great photos to look at and figure out years and models. Great information.

How could I miss this post?

Ian, it's my old bike. I bought it new in '83. Kept it for 3 years and sold it to Peter Harrigan who sold it to Chrome Hunter. It was the only 349 of that model in the country. Somebody has obviously changed the mudguards.

Ian, check out the boot between the airbox and the carb. When I sold it it was split and I couldn't find a replacement.

Edited by TooFastTim

Hi Tim

Some very local Cape Town trials history!!

Small world - the names all make sense -The bike was given to a good friend in Jhb (who got me into trials & bikes when I was about 16 - he found it on a farm - the owner was going to give it to his 6 or 7 year old son to ride. After suggesting that a 350 & a 7 year old would not mix well & might have some terminal results & that a twin shock foot ups machine it should rather be preserved - the bike was given to him). It then went up to Jhb & has been standing for quite a while - Tony gave it to me - I am just waiting for it to get a ride down to Cape Town.

I was hoping to ride it in this years 'John Fulcher Memorial Trial' but I will not make in time- I won the 1st ever one in 93 ever one as a clubman, with Ben van der Westhuizen winning the 'Master' class - interestingly I was riding Ben's old 349 which I rebuilt - for some obscure reason I painted the tank yellow!

Ian

Tim

Moved to Cape Town about 18 months ago ... I suppose Brian is still looking for that trophy.....

The non original mudguards also figure ... the ones on the bike have faded a bit & are more pink than red... she must have been well ridden too, as there is not too much 'trials damage' evidence ... my ex BvdH 349 had been badly hammered when I got it (frame was even cracked)

Tim

Left PPC a year or so back ... really enjoy Cape Town ... it is such a unique city with its mountain beaches & space - being in the country was great but it was a small town .. I wound up 'single' again my daughters were grown up & off to seek their fortunes... so I headed to Town for a fresh start....

What took you off to the bottom of the world.... you still doing enduro as well..

Ian