New Gas Gas Fan Whine?

spark

Hi guys, I currently ride an 01 Sherco 2.9 but after riding an 09 TXT 300 I am looking to upgrade. The only thing that is bothering me is what appears to sound like a fan whine from all of the new gassers. I was at a trials event and I could hear the whine on all of the newer shaped gas gas bikes from easily 20m away. Am I just sensitive to that particular frequency, because my friend said he cannot hear it at all? I was playing back some footage we took and I could clearly hear it even over the poor camcorder speaker... I did a search but only really found people discussing faulty fans and these fans are not faulty as there were at least 8 new bikes all making the same noise. Are there any other fans that can easily be fitted if it were to drive me crazy?

it will be the speed of the fan and the pitch of the blades. You could put a diode/resister thingy in the wiring that feeds the fan but you'll be on your own re warrantee etc ...... or chose a better bike like a beta. ;o)

I don't think for the type of riding I do I should be slowing the fan down. I guess I am just wondering if it is only me that notices it, I mean if it were an annoyance to everyone I would imagine they would have changed the design of the fan for 2010... Like the way Beta changed their troublesome stators... B) . Actually I rode an Evo as well, very nice looking bike but the motor was uninspiring.

There are two GG fan whines.......

If it's shrill, the fan bearings are dry...starting and stopping the fan will often fix it (there are several ways), but some will squeal untill replaced.

Then there's the regular whine, which seems to vary between bikes, and with the age of the fan. Ever since I took my plastic rad guard off, mine seems quieter, but that may not be the reason. It's a pretty new fan, but still can go into SQUEAL mode.

If you do decide to purchase, make sure that you carry out the mod to the fan/radiator housing.

The fan assembly needs to be carefully removed and repositioned so that the base does not interfere with the cooling fins at the base of the radiator.

I suggest 2 no. pop rivets on each side to make sure that the unit cannot pivot and wear through again.

If you do decide to purchase, make sure that you carry out the mod to the fan/radiator housing.

The fan assembly needs to be carefully removed and repositioned so that the base does not interfere with the cooling fins at the base of the radiator.

I suggest 2 no. pop rivets on each side to make sure that the unit cannot pivot and wear through again.

Frankly, I think it is a reasonable complaint.

I build alot of computers, and I've seen many fans. Some are loud, others silent--- same size.

The GG fan does not need to be so noisy---the other bikes are proof of this.

Road tests of the GG should mention this fact---and us GG lovers should complain about it more. Maybe they will wake up, fix the fan, and give us a good long ride kit in the bargain.

P1010733.jpg