New 2010 Beta Gearbox / Clutch Rattle - Help

jmspear

Hi all, picked up my sons new 2010 Beta evo 125 last saturday, fantastic bike, wish I had bought one for myself, he can ride my Sherco 250 and I will ride his Evo, so smooth. loads of bottom end grunt, soft yet performs but....... there is a gearbox / clutch rattle. Goes when the clutch is pulled in but is pretty noisy when the clutch is out on tickover. I know the gassers rattle but hadn't realised the Evo's do. In contrast my Sherco is as quiet as a mouse. Is this normal, should I take it back or should I not worry they all do it? Advice and experience gratefully received, even my son has started worrying about it - he asks is it normal dad?

If it is a problem want it sorted now when it is only a week old

Thanks

John

Hi Addict, the oil level is about halfway up the sight glass, so assume its OK? Have done one trail and about 2-3 hours practice so ready for its first oil change, any advice on best oil to put in it at change?

Spudsdad, thanks that's what i thought (had hoped), will see if I can do a side by side comparison with other evo's at our next trial, there was a couple of evo's at Fish Hill (Evesham MCC trial) last weekend but didn't think to ask if we could compare them for noise, was first time out on the bike and had only got it the day before!

My only concern was that I had only just sold my son's sherco 125 as it had an annoying engine rattle which wouldn't go away, - new clutch, basket, centre, mains, small end, new piston etc but still loud rattle so the bike went, now we spend

Go with Ralphy on this, call the importer/dealer explain your concerns and if you get "its normal nothing to worry about" and it goes bang abit later you'll have something to go back on. The manual should state the oil level and type,be worth changing it now anyway as its had a little run from new.

Great advice, have spoken to Lampkin (importer) he said not unusual, but to keep an eye on it and if it changes or gets louder they will sort it out. Liked their service, didn't just brush me off with they all sound like that, but took me seriously and committed to sorting it out if the noise got worse / changed or something broke in it. (Also suggested changing to a #5 spark plug as a by the way, as the bikes are shipped with a plug which suits southern european trials (hot countries) and will run sweeter with a BP5?S (i think, am travelling with work now and have written down the exact plug code at home).

Still interested in anyne else has the rattle?

• 4 months later...

just picked up a 2010 evo 250 , and the clutch basket is really noisy, like gas gas, one reason i went for evo , is i didnot like gearbox noise on gas gas , have not used it in a trial yet, hoping noise will go away???????? pull in cluch and it goes, tickover really rattles, what it making the noise, jmspear has the noise gone with use? i have had rev3 before and there has never been a rattle , have they changed anything in gearbox. as you i am concerned about it.

Hi all, picked up my sons new 2010 Beta evo 125 last saturday, fantastic bike, wish I had bought one for myself, he can ride my Sherco 250 and I will ride his Evo, so smooth. loads of bottom end grunt, soft yet performs but....... there is a gearbox / clutch rattle. Goes when the clutch is pulled in but is pretty noisy when the clutch is out on tickover. I know the gassers rattle but hadn't realised the Evo's do. In contrast my Sherco is as quiet as a mouse. Is this normal, should I take it back or should I not worry they all do it? Advice and experience gratefully received, even my son has started worrying about it - he asks is it normal dad?

If it is a problem want it sorted now when it is only a week old

Thanks

John

Had a new 2009 evo 250 no clutch rattle at all have 2 month old 2o10 evo 250 clutch rattles considerably my son,s have 2010 290s not as bad as the 250, but i dont think theres any problem at at all, just a noise , pull the clutch it goes away,, my dealer is top notch ,, and lampkins 15 minutes away,, but i wont be taking it back,, ill just enjoy riding it,, using atf in the gearbox,, clutch works perfectly,,, personally i can live with the noise,,,, happy riding.

I've noticed this before on Rev3s. Some worse then others. Pretty much can only be two things, well three actually but only two that wouldn't indicate a problem. With the clutch out the entire primary side of the gear train is engaged including the input shaft of the transmission. Since we have to assume the clutch is happily clamped up tight from the pressure plate to the base of the basket I think that limits the rattle to gear clearance. Think of it this way, when the clutch is pulled, in gear, there is still some clutch drag that torques the primary gears into engagement but enough slip to keep the clutch pack from acting as a flywheel. With the clutch out and the transmission in neutral the clutch and half the gear train is freewheeling with much less drag. As the crank goes around it changes speed slowing as the piston compresses the mixture and accelerating again after the ignition fires. It may be the inertia stored in the clutch basket and gear train is enough to disengage the primary gears momentarily causing them to clack back and forth as the piston fires. Betas use straight cut gears. Does anybody know if other brands use helical gears which I think would lessen this considerably. The other possibility I can think of is the gears in the gearbox clacking around because even though it's not "in gear" some gears are still meshed. I think this is most unlikely though as there's not a lot of mass to clack them back and forth within the gearbox. Certainly not enough to make it loud like the rattle I'm familiar with. A rather deep cluckity cluckity sound.

So that's my guess. Different tolerance in the matching of the primary gears.