Overheating/rattling/oil Dis-colour On Gas Gas

nickgasgas123

Hi, about 2 weeks ago I noticed my gear-box oil had changed colour on my 2009 gas gas 125 to a very milky white colour, and my fan was making an unusually loud whining noise. I changed the oil but after about 10 mins riding it went to the same colour, so I headed home but on the way i noticed my bike was getting very hot, when I got home I checked my water level in the radiator and it was next to empty. I put the bike in the garage to sort another day. Last weekend Michael Brown told my dad that the water impellor would have gone, so took that off and the seal was also broken, We contacted my local dealer and got a new shaft, impellor and seals along with new gearbox oil, again after 10 mins the oil has gone white and milky and the bike is overheating, and this time the piston is making a large rattling noise, the fan has also stopped working now, but if you give the fan a push it will start going for about 20 seconds then stop.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Many thanks, Nick

Sounds like you didnt get the seal on the WP shaft correctly. Did you watch the jim Snell video on how to correctly install? The fan bearings sound like there toast as well - a side effect of a fan thats constantly running or subject to the pressure hose.

Did the bike ever overheat? Run Dry?

You have a problem with the fan, if it's not running often or long enough then the water is going to boil, the pressure will build up and can go two ways. Through the vent hose or if the hose is kinked or blocked (check this) then water pump seal is the next weakest point.

I think that the temo swicth for the fan is at fault and needs replaceing.

There not the best of design on the pro's as they are right at the top of the radiator and can run dry

if you are a little low on coolant.

I replaced mine with one off an older gas gas that sits in the top radiator hose. see pic.

I would change the oil a few and check your water pump seal is in right and your fan comes on after a couple of minutes.IMG_0891.jpg

Any way good luck with it and hope you havn't done any damage to the piston and bore as thats mega bucks to put right....

obviously if the oil is white there is water in it. Most likely source is through water pump seal. Besides a worn shaft and seal, which is common, this can also be caused by toasted o-rings on the head, which often happens with a big overheat. I would watch the vid mentioned above, verify seal and shaft are on ther correctly, then replace o-rings. Put your fan on a switch, temporarily--as mentioned the thermostat may not be working right.

The piston really rattles when hot---check sound when cool. You may have a stuck ring. If noise persists inspect piston and barrel. But be sure you are not hearing the famous GG rattle--if the noise changes when you let the clutch in and out--tha's likely what it is.