4rt Oil

jeffers

Hi all,

I've been to look at a 08 4rt thats for sale,the bike is in very good condition and appears to be very genuine,

But here comes the possible deal breaker,

When i asked what oil had been used in the G-Box knowing how sensitive the clutches are, the reply was hydraulic oil (not as in brake fluid) but the type that would be used in rams,

So i am thinking how good would this be for the bearings and gears, would any long term damage have been done that is not showing up YET as the bike is only 2 years old.

Has any one heard of this type of oil being used . or should i just walk away.

Thanks for your comments :lol:

Hydraulic oil has to run at extreme pressures through pumps and bearings so a 4rt gearbox should not tax it too much. Not sure how the clutch plate would react though.

But as the saying goes the choice is yours

isn't it optimum for the clutch to be running in very thin oil

I can't imagine the clutch working with oil like that !

isn't it optimum for the clutch to be running in very thin oil

I can't imagine the clutch working with oil like that !

He's saying that the oil is very thin and the clutch feels the best it ever has with this oil, but what i am thinking is what hydrualic system has bearing/gears

Edited by jeffers

hydraulic oil is a great lubrication oil and will work in far higher tolerences than is required in a 4rt gearbox .think how much pressure is in a jcb hydraulic pump running at 1000s of psi for weeks on end .some people swear by atf for gearboxes what do you think that is its just a type of hydraulic oil .if the bikes all good and at decent money i wouldnt think twice about buying it

I use 10 weight mineral hydraulic oil for the gearbox/clutch on my 4RT after the price of the ELF oil went up to $82 NZ per litre (hydraiulic oil = $32 fr 4 litres). This oil meets CAT.3 specifications.

Tried ATF initially, some clutch grabbing when cold but OK once warm. Hydraulic fluid seems just as good as the ELF. Reading the specs, is designed for complex geartrain and clutch systems ... sounds good to me. Was recomended to me by PeterB on this site who has been using it for years in his GAsGas with no issues. I will continue to use it.

Andrew

Edited by stkman