Over Heating

willis7864

can anyone tell me why my 2001 280 gas gas txt is over heating when i go up hill,or when i hold it half throtle .fan is running all the time.

Could you just clarify what you mean by overheating.

Is it boiling up and expelling clouds of steam / coolant

or

Is it just that the fan is running all the time

Edited by GII

Could you just clarify what you mean by overheating.

Is it boiling up and expelling clouds of steam / coolant

or

Is it just that the fan is running all the time

its boiling up and expelling steam,some say its jets but i have run the same jets since new and never had a problem before

do you think it could be a redator cap.taken water pump cover off and when you goto kick bike over the perpella turns so cant be pump if im correct.

Is the fan moving a good volume of air? If so I still think it's the pump. One of the guys in my club had an impeller just fall apart this summer. Couldn't really tell till he tore it apart, once it was out the vanes on the impeller were...... well... pretty much not there. His fan had run so much that it ruined the fan motor and the black box that controlled the fan. His was also blowing the seal on the water pump and sending coolant into the gear case. I am guessing a shaft, seal, impeller and new bushing for the pump.

Craig

Two rubber O rings seal the head to the barrel and these harden and leak in time, especially if the motor has ever got too hot. Its likely that these are the cause of your problem and in any event you should replace them. As far as I recall the water pumps on the pre-Pro motors were generally pretty good. Have you checked the state of your gearbox oil? If the pump seal is leaking the oil will be milky.

Good point, I was thinking Pro models. My pre-pro TXTs didn't have any problems that didn't involve the fan motor itself or the wiring. The '01 321 I had was overheating and it turned out to be a bad connection, fan would seem to run but not when it needed to. Wiggled the wires and it would be fine for a while then overheat again. Did have to replace a few water pump seals too.

Craig