Understeer Or Oversteer ?

gazzaecowarrior

I have recently bought an 08 rev 4. I had a 04 rev 3 for years and am use to riding Beta's. I can't help but notice that sometimes when I want to turn, the bike seems to carry on and the front wheel just slides. It seems to do it to a far greater extent than my Rev 3. Is this understeer or oversteer and is this caused by my fork hieght in the triple clamps ? I am sure it should grip more than this as I have an almost new front tyre, I'm not going too fast and I'm an average rider. The distance from the top of the triple clamp to the top of the fork leg (excluding the fork caps) is 4mm. Or is it simply the effect of a four stroke engine and the supspension is set up ok. The front forks are set pretty much in the middle in terms of hardness and rebound. Any advice much appreciated.

gareth

I have recently bought an 08 rev 4. I had a 04 rev 3 for years and am use to riding Beta's. I can't help but notice that sometimes when I want to turn, the bike seems to carry on and the front wheel just slides. It seems to do it to a far greater extent than my Rev 3. Is this understeer or oversteer and is this caused by my fork hieght in the triple clamps ? I am sure it should grip more than this as I have an almost new front tyre, I'm not going too fast and I'm an average rider. The distance from the top of the triple clamp to the top of the fork leg (excluding the fork caps) is 4mm. Or is it simply the effect of a four stroke engine and the supspension is set up ok. The front forks are set pretty much in the middle in terms of hardness and rebound. Any advice much appreciated.

gareth

You may find its the extra weight of the 4t pushing the front,the 4ts are heavier up front,allot of people who go 4t motox bikes after 2t have the same issue with loosing the front due to the extra weight and engine push.

Benz

I have had this problem on a few bikes, worst was the 07 Caby, I cured it by dropping the forks through the yolks so they were at max length. The Caby bars were very low so fitted risers and this also helped. Same thing with the 4rt, but fork height sorted it out.

I moved from a '07 Rev3 and now am on a '08 Rev4t. I think it turns about the same.

First thing i noticed was the i could feel the engine was 3kg heavier than the 2t. This put s more weight on the front and should help plant the front tyre to the floor. The 4mm is good. You could try moving that to 6mm for a quicker action.

Finally the biggest difference i found came from being mm accurate setting of the front and rear suspension. Set them to 1/3 sag when you stand on the bike.

Is this understeer or oversteer?

The front sliding and pushing straight on is understeer. Back end sliding is oversteer.

Steepening the fork angle helps to negate the front pushing. You can do that by dropping the yokes down the forks a bit or by putting a bit more preload on the rear to raise it a bit. As Ralphy says you'd do well to make sure the suspension is accurately set up before you change too much.