Sherco Idle Speed

chr155_d

Sherco got clogged up with the usual mud and water in thru the airbox again so have done all the usual new filter, clean airbox, clean carb, new plug, fresh fuel ( this happens far to often, wish the designed bikes in Scotland and not Spain)

my problem is that when the bike now goes up the revs then comes back down to idle it hovers above idle ( like when the choke is on) for about 10 seconds then drops down to the idle speed when hot,

my question is what may be the cause of this?

I have fettled about with the carb screws is it just a case of more fine tuning with the carb screws?

The plug is not fouling or that goes right up the revs and sounds ok on the way up,

would the pilot jet be the first thing to check? when you say lean what is the signs of a lean-ness?

Exactly what you described! And as even the smallest particle in the system can foul it.

The pilot jet must be removed and totally inspcted along with a fine wire run through it if neccessary to insure no blockage, along with blowing it out with some air, ant the tinny passages in the throttle bore, there are two!

These things can get you!

Cheers copemech,

Have a club trial today so just hope i manage to get the pilot out, cleaned and back in before the start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pilot does not have to be set does it? just screws out and goes back into the same slot without over-tightening?

Yep,just screw it back into the carb when you're sure all is clean.

Have you sealed your airbox yet ?

The only time I get water in my airbox is when I use the garden hose on the bike.

Edit:-I've just noticed that your bike is an 09,have you blocked off the seat(!!)-vents in your back mud-guard?

Edited by HAM2

I have experienced the problem you describe and it was finally traced to fuel supply.

I had over adjusted the tab on the float system and reduced the flow of fuel into the carburettor.

Consequently when revved the engine leaned out with the reduced fuel level in the bowl.

This is a simple check to make and together with the cleaning tips previously advised should correct your problem

Yep,just screw it back into the carb when you're sure all is clean.

Have you sealed your airbox yet ?

The only time I get water in my airbox is when I use the garden hose on the bike.

Edit:-I've just noticed that your bike is an 09,have you blocked off the seat(!!)-vents in your back mud-guard?

cheers, yeah have sealed airbox gap between exhaust, taped up mudgaurd apart from the one vent, and use tape around mudgaurd when it is in place, I'm riding in winter in north east of scotland which is fantastic but not ideal for water mudd etc getting in every part of the bike!!

Took the carb of cleaned pilot jet and carb again with airline seems to have cured it,

Cheers guys, will know to remove jets and clean always cautious about dismantling the carb as I no how precise things have to be on them!!! all a learning process i suppose!!

Took the carb of cleaned pilot jet and carb again with airline seems to have cured it,

Cheers guys, will know to remove jets and clean always cautious about dismantling the carb as I no how precise things have to be on them!!! all a learning process i suppose!!

Glad you got it sorted with the basics.

In a way, you just have to remember that sometimes you can suffice with a quick blow and go cleaning, then at other times this will not suffice a seems the smallest of particles can fowl your efforts, yet if you have the extra few minutes, disect it an d blow through everything to make it perfect and clean enough to eat off! Typacally lasts longer that way too.

An arisol can of brake cleaner from the auto store can be a big help as well, and good to keep on hand. :thumbup:

copemech Posted Yesterday, 11:25 PM

An arisol can of brake cleaner from the auto store can be a big help as well, and good to keep on hand.

Are you Huffing again????? :thumbup: I thought you quit that. :huh:

(just slinging some poo your way)

Are you Huffing again????? :thumbup: I thought you quit that. :D

(just slinging some poo your way)

If you only knew! A small can will be quite helpful in spot cleanings and such. If you get a car that has saturated everything in oil it is a mess to clean up just to get an idea where it is coming from!

Yes one can get a buzz!

On average , I go through a 55 gal drum in about 3 weeks in the shop, at a cost of about $650.00! Every oil change must be cleaned of residue, or god forbid someone get a spot on their driveway!

If it were not for people like you, I would not have that problem! God forbid you ever develop a bad gasket on your drain plug, as you would probably want to make that my fault as well. And let us not even get into the fact that your worn out POS was leaking even before it got here!

I need to stop now! Need another buzz! :huh: