Sherpa Diet

harvey_mushman

Hello,

A few months back I aquired a '77 Bultaco Sherpa T 350. It is a model 183. Bike came with a street ownership. It is equipped with Headlight, taillight, horn and all the necessary switches and buttons. I'm building the bike with the intent of using it to improve my riding skills as well as participate in the occasional vintage trial event. I've been removing the road going equipment to save weight and prevent any wear and tear to these items. One day when a full restoration is in order I can reinstall these items. I'm worried I may damage an aluminum fender or hard to find/expensive component like the speedometer.

I've been tracking the weights of the items as I remove/replace them.

Plastic components going on the bike:

Front fender 7 oz

Rear Fender 9 oz

Front Number Plate (lexan) 2-1/2 oz

Components removed from the bike:

Aluminum Front Fender with Mud Flap 15 oz

Aluminum Rear Fender with Taillamp 32 oz

Headlight 7-1/2 oz

Headlight Bucket with light socket 13 oz

Headlight Ears (2) 9 oz

Horn 4-1/2 oz

Resistor 2 oz

Wire Harness, Kill, Light Switch 9 oz

Speedometer 4 oz

Speedometer Drive 7 oz

Speedometer Cable 5 oz.

A grand total of 5 lbs 10 oz of weight will be removed. Probably not a huge difference on a 210 lb bike. But definately a huge improvement.

Here are some before pics.

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

Edited by harvey_mushman

• 3 weeks later...

Good looking rig Harvey.... Aboot the only thing that you could still take weight off from would be the muffler. They are pretty clunky and the wgt. is up even with your knees. I have never seen a replacement done on one though. I was once told WES in England made one for them but very$$$$$$! Looks like the items you listed are also high up on the bike also and that is where you need wgt off. Are you close to Windsor-Essex, Ont.? You know MOTA runs over there 2 times per yr. Like to see it there.

The other area of weight reduction I've been examining are aluminum body shocks. Of course, the rider could also stand to loose 10 to 15 lbs too!.

I'm out Kitchener-Waterloo.

I'll check into my schedule for the MOTA event. I've set a lofty goal making it out to 1 trial for my first full season.

Here's the bike stripped down and trimmed out.

IMG_3835.jpg

I would ADD weight in one place mushman....You need to put a skidplate on that Bul. The area on the front of the mag cover is easily damaged and (ask sdm) the lower drain bolt on the clutch case is also easily damaged by rocks. The bike looks very nice....another Bultaco is saved. Time to go tear up some TYs!

2 more thoughts for you. Have you ground down the fork turning stops as far as they can go so the forks get back really close to the gas tank? Also... if you go to a 13.5 in shock the bike turns way better and no clearance problems. I use the Betor nitro-gas shocks that come with a 70/100 spring. $255 from B&J. Really makes the bike turn a lot better and smoother power delivery to ground. Are your pegs widened to 45mm also? You will want to do that. All helps with handling. Hope to see you at MOTA rds this year. I think there will be a twinshock class this yr.