Not Starting - Different Problem

littleblackflash

Hi All.

I have a 1972 Bultaco which has a fully rebuild engine with electronic ignition. But I can't get it to start as it should.

If I use Easystart (or brake cleaner) it will fire up and run well. I can turn it off and it will restart 2-3hrs later first kick. But if I leave it overnight, it won't start.

I'm using a new BP5ES plug with a 0.7mm gap as per the ignition instructions. What should I try now?

What carb are you using?

Sounds like the usual Amal mk2 choke circuit is blocked.Try cleaning it out with an airline.

My own Model 190 usually starts after 2 or 3 kicks from cold but always with the choke on and a closed throttle,if you twist it when kicking it refuses to start.

If it is a Mk1 does it start with copious amounts of flooding?I had a Model 92 with an Amal mk1 and it had to be flooded then kicked then flooded again then kicked a few times before it would start from cold.

Both bike would start from hot very easily.

I also use points ignition,set up meticulously and cleaned regularly with no problems.

I'm using a Mk1.5 Amal Carb. 627 from memory.

It is a cold start problem. I've cleaned all the carb out but I'll have another go.

The choke is a primative button that pushes down on the float to flood the engine. When I push the choke plunger down, some fuel leaks out around the plunger. Is that normal?

I'm using a Mk1.5 Amal Carb. 627 from memory.

It is a cold start problem. I've cleaned all the carb out but I'll have another go.

The choke is a primative button that pushes down on the float to flood the engine. When I push the choke plunger down, some fuel leaks out around the plunger. Is that normal?

Yes,it is called a tickler button.

Try pushing this button up and down until fuel flows out,kick the engine over a couple of times then repeat the flooding and kicking until the engine starts.

You carb will be an Amal MK1 if it has the tickler, the MK1.5 was a MK1 body but with different pilot circuit and with a choke lever fitted, no tickler.

If it is a 627 then the chances are it is the original carb so you could also have wear in the throttle slide/throttle body which may hinder starting from cold as it will weaken the mixture a bit. When you press the tickler down until fuel pours out, this has flooded the carb and the biike should start first or second kick if the carburation is ok, even with a worn slide generally. (this is assuming the electronic ignition is performing correctly and the timing is correct)