Bit Of A Knock

caddabs

Got it good and hot today and under a fair bit of load in lots of mud. suddenly developed a bit of a knock and didnt want to start after i stopped it. ran it for a short while and power not there, let it cool off and it started fine, but still a little knock. stopped it just in case. suggestions from the paddock were "pinking" and to raise the needle. is this common with Shercos? im running it on 2% with Vpower fuel (not sure of the octaine). do i need to worry? fan working fine but radiator covered in mud. it must have been hot as a fair few climbs and some slow stuff for a few hours. heres hoping its nothing serious!

Got it good and hot today and under a fair bit of load in lots of mud. suddenly developed a bit of a knock and didnt want to start after i stopped it. ran it for a short while and power not there, let it cool off and it started fine, but still a little knock. stopped it just in case. suggestions from the paddock were "pinking" and to raise the needle. is this common with Shercos? im running it on 2% with Vpower fuel (not sure of the octaine). do i need to worry? fan working fine but radiator covered in mud. it must have been hot as a fair few climbs and some slow stuff for a few hours. heres hoping its nothing serious!

Cad, very good description for loss of power. I'd be looking to clear that mud from the radiator than raising the needle. Overheating will kill engine performance everytime.

Hopefully things will go back to norm once cooled down and cleaned out! Did you ck the coolant level lately? Rad must be kept clean! :huh:

If you keep running things too hot you can damage a piston and such.

You really need to know what fuel you are using, as for most the 98 RON pumpgas will suffice. At 80:1 with full synthetic top oils. Not the 50:1 ratio.

Hopefully no damage done. And things mat return to normal if lucky! :thumbup:

Thanks Guys - just checked and Vpower is 99 Ron so i guess thats ok. Yes the coolant is all good (checked very recently). I thought they ran 1:50?? should it be 1:80 ?? :thumbup:

I stopped it before it had a chance to do any damage i'm sure as i'm aware therse engines can nip up quickly.

Lets hope it was just hot from all the mud !

Cheers - Caddabs

Many thanks for that.

I'm running it on Ipone S2 (from their site it is - Synthetic based lubricant for 2 stroke engines. Specially designed for heavy duty use; moto-cross, enduro, trials, quad and 50cc sport and competition engines.)

I am running it on 50:1 at present thinking that its best to have more oil than less. will it do it any harm? :thumbup: especially with my "pinking" problem ?

Appreciate you advice as still a newbie.

Cheers

Caddabs

It may well load up the muff with excess oil and gunk for sure! If we can run the experts and pro's on 80:1, I simply doubt you would need more to be better.

Then when you might make a hard run on it and really get some heat into the muff, fhich you do need to do on occasion, it smokes like crap with all the excess burning off, not good!

Average punter can safely run 90-100:1 with no problems! :thumbup: