Is A 4 Speed Bantam Allowed

247john

I am thinking of having a go at pre 65 and am thinking along the lines of a bantam after reading and asking around the general consensus

seems to be 175 with 4 speed box a D14/4 but will this be eligible as a pre 65 considering they were not in production untill 67 68 ? many thanks in advance

you need to check your local club.

Yorkshire classics allow 2 strokes up to 1970, so 4 speed bantams are allowed...... although the latest crop seem closer to beta's rather than anything BSA manufactured.

Edited by alan

certainly yorks classic took the plunge and specifically allowed 4 spd bantams 3 or 4 years ago. Whilst most of the bantams seem withinthe spirit there are bantams out there with modern plastics and stickered up to look like modern bikes..

probably not what was in mind when the catagory was created

although in fairness YCMCC have started 'enforcing' the rules and more bikes are been asked to be entered in the 'specials' class although all are welcomed to ride

Well, I don't know about your local rules .....but having ridden a Bantam for a full season let me say this: It would not be my 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice of bikes to ride in any class.

Reasons:

Seriously underpowered

Tough to make a 1st kick starter(requires electronic ignition, which is illegal).

Pogo Stick front forks

Very limited ground clearence

Won't fit "real" Trials tire without illegal modification (need a Cub or C15 rear rim and swing arm).

Requires modifications to the foot pegs (which then requires different brake and shift levers)

I won't boor you with the other 30 items required.

Alan

Well, I don't know about your local rules .....but having ridden a Bantam for a full season let me say this: It would not be my 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice of bikes to ride in any class.

Reasons:

Seriously underpowered

Tough to make a 1st kick starter(requires electronic ignition, which is illegal).

Pogo Stick front forks

Very limited ground clearence

Won't fit "real" Trials tire without illegal modification (need a Cub or C15 rear rim and swing arm).

Requires modifications to the foot pegs (which then requires different brake and shift levers)

I won't boor you with the other 30 items required.

Alan

wow, the rules are no where near as strict here, without opening the old can of worms again (later engines, fiddle forks, frame and wheel mods, electronic ignition.. etc..), the "relaxed rules" means that there are sufficient entries to keep the thing going.

To keep the events commercially viable, unit bikes are allowed to ride non competitively in pre-unit trials and those that have pushed the envelope too far are put in the "specials" class .

There is always going to be several factions, the trophy hunters spending big bucks to gain any competitive advantage, "the clubmen" having a go on a limited budget, and the old boys still plugging away.

The trick is to make sure everyone is having fun and turning out regularly, I fear strict enforcement of the "pre 65" rule would probably kill the class.

Deep down every one knows how much every one else is bending the rules by.. and those with the more legitimate bikes take great pleasure in beating the fiddle bikes.

I for one enjoy a sunday run around on a relatively cheap bike, usually finishing mid-order without damage to bike or rider.. long may it continue..........

"is a 4 speed bantam allowed?"

Not in the Scottish it aint but then again it may be depending on who you are :D

Most clubs seem to operate pre 70 so as long as you dont bother with the "Scottish play" ,and more and more arent bothering sadly, then you should have no problems.

Rode John Tyes new one recently and even though i am no fan of the bantam his is BRLLIANT !

Hi 247john you don't say were you are, if you are around Matlock area Dales Classic Club will allow you to ride the Bantam in their trials .

So will Peak Classic and Midland Classic.

Peak Classic have a trials this weekend at Cookes Quarry start 11.00 Sunday if you want to come along for a ride or a look :blink: