Mikuni For Sherpa 350

bctrialsguy

Most people are using the dellorto 26mm [off gasgas or sherco ] or alternatively the 28mm keihin flatslide which will be illegal to use in competition.

Both will work well with the supplied jetting- jets are easy to come by. Which ever way you go you will have to change your manifold as well!

I have a 28mm round slide Mikuni on my 77 Sherpa 350 and it runs real well. It looks like it has a sleve that was pressed on the engine side of the carb to match the intake manifold on the engine so you won't have to find some kind of rubber step adapter. I didn't ask the previous owner where he got the carb but it appears to be all set up for this application. You might want to contact bultaco.com as they do sell Mikuni conversions for some models.

Hope this helps

Sam

I've just fitted a 26mm OKO Flatslide to my M92. It came with 112 main and 38 pilot. At the moment it has a 100 main jet and a 38 pilot as I was trying it on something else. The needle, needle jet and slide are all as it came with (no numbers on them) I've only just fitted it and it runs pretty well like this but I have only run it around the garden, it hasn't been tried properly yet, but I suspect when I do, it will only require minor tweaking. I have the same type of carb fitted to my 350 Ossa MAR and it is exactly as it came out of the box apart from moving the needle one notch. Bike runs perfectly.

To fit on to your M92 you would need an inlet manifold from a later 250 that takes a push on Amal as it is the same size spigot as the OKO or Mikuni - this is what I've done. If you use a push on type from a later 350, they used a Bing and the spigot is bigger so you would need a step down inlet rubber or you would need to machine and fit an oversize sleeve/ring onto the carb inlet spigot to fit the standard 350 rubber. Or you can buy adaptors that bolt onto your existing inlet studs that take a rubber inlet hose for a push on carb.

I'm assuming you're in the US so I've no idea what your rules are regarding carbs but OKO is worth considering if allowed (or if your not concerned with rules) As someone else mentioned, Bultaco.com would surely do a Mikuni readily jetted for that bike?

• 2 weeks later...

Carbs are available from Keith Taylor at ktrracing.com . The 28s are really hard to come by new. You will probably end up with a 26 or 30mm and will need a new rubber spigot mount. A 30 will also work on a 325 as long as you set it up pretty lean. Keith is in Omaha, Neb.