Trials Tyre Or Mx Knobblie In The Snow?

pete_scorpa3

Trials or MX tyres?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which tyre is best in the snow?

• A softer Trials tyre.
    • A harder but more knobblie MX tyre.

As I live fairly near work, I have to make an attempt to get in if it snows.

If the snow is too deep for the car I will take the DRZ400 but I can't decide which rear wheel to fit.

Would you use the wheel with the soft trials tyre fitted or do you think the harder MX knobblie on the other wheel would be better?

after some research went for a trials front and enduro rear on the Pampera. Seems to cope with snow, packed snow on untreated roads, as well as slush on the main roads. Going down the verges on unpacked snow seems the best for the country lanes, as well as some short-cuts at roundabouts

Many years ago with X1 tubed tyre found higher pressure was better than low in the snow. Not sure if this is still the case but it stopped the tyres clogging up. Will maybe re try my theory tomorrow - about 7 psi in the rear seems to come to mind. The old Pirelli MT43 was the dogs in the snow but rubbish at any other time

Pirelli MT43
:)

Hooked up a bracket on Gerts Wednesday to mount the flipcam with the intention of a ride around the local villages and posting it on here, got about 12 foot till I fell off :P bloody hopeless. Will try pumping up the tyres tomorrow and see what happens, roads are sheet ice everywhere now though

Edited by The Addict

I was out on my KTM 530 this evening which has MX knobbly's on it, they were great on everything but hard packed snow turned to ice by lots of traffic, but in all honesty on packed snow turned to ice nothing will help you. I basically road in the centre of the road out of the car ice ruts and everything was fine, but still slippery. HTH John