09 Pro 250 V 280 V 300

hairyharry

I am 99% going to get an 09 gasser , but not sure which to go for

yes i know i should have a go on them all but no one in our club has a 250 or a 280.

i had a go on a friends 09 300 that was fitted with a flywheel weight and reed block spacer

and it was SO smooth and nice to ride you would not believe it was a 300!

straight after that i jumped on a n 09 250 EVO and what a difference-

felt so snappy and revvy with hardly any grunt or torque that i prefered on the 300 gasser

i know a std 300 would be more aggressive but i would imagine still smoother than a 250 or 280 gasser

the question i am asking is what is a 250 and 280 like compared to a std 300?

i would gladly get a 280 if it was somewhere between the snappyness of a 250 and smoothnes of a 300

i dont think a 250 would suit me , i prefer a smoother bike with torquier engine

Any one know?

honest answers only please , if you don't know or hate gas gas bikes DON'T ANSWER!

Edited by hairyharry

My view for what it's worth is that you should go for the 300. As you say nice and soft and torquey - 280 is a bit more aggressive (although not ridden an '09 - have owned an '09 250 and ridden an '08 300 raga) - I liked the 250 with a flat slide - nice and smooth too but if I were to get another gasser then I'd get a 300 but maybe soften it off with a weight/compression change.

Interested in your evo comments - I have 2010 250 and it is very soft off the bottom - really like it.

Cheers

Jim

the 300 has some serious grunt and when you think that one of the better national riders sponsored by GG is running a flywheel weight, inlet spacer and thicker base gasket you need to think do I really need that much power.

you havent said what level you ride at ?

I have an 09 280 with keihin carb and flywheel weight and recently tried an 09 300 with keihin which had done less work than my bike. The 300 was just too much, very torquey, but far too much go for me, I couldnt get across a camber on the 300 which I was cleaning on my 280. obviously I dont know if the 300 was jetted correctly or what the tyre pressures were etc but my impression was I wouldnt buy a 300 as I couldnt ride it as well as my 280.

next bike is either a 280 again or a 250.

When i had my 09 300 pro which had a Flywheel weight fitted but also had a Keihin carb, the bottom end power was very aggresive & snappy but it sure would go if you wanted it to,but fine once you got used to it. but everyone who had a 5 minute go hated it because of how snappy it was. i also had a go on an 09 250, which was very different, very soft off the bottom, a bit to soft for my likeing but still a very good bike, not had a go on a 280 so can't really say anything about them, but i'm sure there very good as well.

Edited by GasGasben

I owned a recent 250 GG which was fine but after riding 290 Shercos it did seem a bit weedy tho it handled well. I have tried an 09 Gasser 300 which seriously seemed full of power - it was standard too.

Over Xmas I rode an very clean 08 280 gasser and I liked it. It was greasy and quite frozen in places (the ground that is) but I thought it was a good compromise. It did not seem especially fierce.

My advice is to find the other models somehow and try them, especially a recent 280.

Ive been going through all of the above recently since I sold my 280 pro.

If I were you I would ride a 2010 290 Evo its all the gas gas 300 should have been stock IMO.

The 300 just too much bike for most stock, the 250's are nice bikes but I also prefer more power. The 290 has a very mild motor and is easy to ride.

Dont buy till you rode one, it may be just right.

I plan to buy one, all I need to ride is the 2010 gas gas 250 to be 100% sure.

Hi all thanks for your comments , as you ask I normally ride at centre inter/expert level

and have been riding for 26 years.

Its just that I have not owned a trials bike for 2 years

Even though i have not ridden a 250 or a 280 gasser I still feel that the 250 would be

a little lacking in power for my liking.

I cannot afford a 2010 bike so there is no point me trying one in my opinion,

but the last bike I had 2 years ago was a 290 sherco and that was never too powerfull

or too much for me.

My thinking is that if I had a 300 gasser maybe with a flywheel weight etc and it was

smooth to ride like the one I tried - then this would maybe be not as snappy as

a 280 ?

Whatever I get it will be a 2009 model.

Edited by hairyharry