Overheating Again

shercoman2k8

Just to reinforce what trialsnutterman has said, and being pedantic, these machines do NOT have a thermostat (stat) as one might commonly encounter on a car or on typical road bikes. They only have a thermoswitch, as Copemech has said. The thermoswitch controls whether the fan works or not, as you have correctly identified. The thermoswitch does not interrupt the coolant flow, so a faulty one will only affect whether the fan works or not (and hence whether the coolant gets too hot, or not hot enough if the fan is on continually).

Can't add anything to what has previously been suggested as the cause of the problem, but I would start as Cope has suggested.

Check that the fan is up to speed and going full blast when it cuts in, apparently the fans have been known to fail, progressively, on the later (KTM?) style radiators. :) Hope it's something cheaper than that tho'

Oh yeah, by stat I know its just an on/off thermoswitch... Although the diagnosis technuiques would be the same.

Fan's fine, as i've already tried a different fan unit, and exactly the same result.

Too cold out today, didn't do any work. Will get round to it soon!

Get on with it!

BTW, seals must have got lost in post, no joy! :huh:

Cope, send me your paypal via private mail and i'll get some money across to you, as a gift so no fee's either.

Roughly how much do I owe? $15 cover it?

If they show up, consider the money a christmas gift and a thanks for all the help you've given this year.

Edited by shercoman2k8

Cope, send me your paypal via private mail and i'll get some money across to you, as a gift so no fee's either.

Roughly how much do I owe? $15 cover it?

If they show up, consider the money a christmas gift and a thanks for all the help you've given this year.

Not a big deal matey, if they are gone, they are gone. All sort of the simple exchange to begin with. I may well call upon you to get me something later on as you never know? As it is always good to have friends in (highland) places!

Get on with your bike! :huh:

Add i did make some changes to my original post that you may want to review

Had a photoshoot with the club for the local paper : Bypassed the stat just to see if luck was on my side before I went, been riding all day and not a drop lost. Will get on and order stat asap.

Well there you go then. I am not sure those thermo switches are all that. I have only ever replaced one on another blokes bike, yet it seems they can do odd things. Best I can tell, there is nothing more in there than a bi-metal set of contacts, yet I have not disected one. I suppose if you had a repeated failure one might look toward a bad fan motor causing a high current burn-out, but if the fan seems normal speed i would not worry. :huh:

Well there you go then. I am not sure those thermo switches are all that. I have only ever replaced one on another blokes bike, yet it seems they can do odd things. Best I can tell, there is nothing more in there than a bi-metal set of contacts, yet I have not disected one. I suppose if you had a repeated failure one might look toward a bad fan motor causing a high current burn-out, but if the fan seems normal speed i would not worry. :huh:

They can indeed. I've had a few go on different bikes. One staying on permanantly, one switching on once, then not again for the whole ride and one that doesn't bother switching on till 110 degrees... Strange little things, working off a simple principle. Guess they're a lot of room for stuff to go wrong somewhere along the line.

Thanks for the help,

Jamie

Stopped the bike, put her back away. Started her up again on the stand the next day, let her warm up, revved it a few times, and then the idle went really slow and lumpy, had to turn the tickover right up for it to even run. Lack of power and dribbling coolant out of the overflow.

So was this idle problem caused by the extreme running temperature?