Montesa Frame By Rickman

totau

Hello, I have a frame that is supposed to be a Rickman one. It is for a montesa Cota 247 trials bike and is stamped "MONT MK 7 15" on the steering column. Could somebody help me find informations on this frame ? Thank you very much and Happy New Year. :)

4253457896_f610daae12.jpg

4253458032_2926ac67f0.jpg

Certainly an unusual way to stamp a frame number. maybe this vertical stamping will give a clue to the origins?

Yes, that's why I put this picture. Maybe some old Rickman owner could tell me If the way it is stamped is usual in the Rickman production ? Or any other , what I suppose English made, production.

There is a Rickman Montesa Cappra on ebay at the moment. It's not really conclusive evidence one way or the other I guess, but that frame has a manufacturer's plate riveted to the headstock - nothing like the stamp on the Cota.

Mark Kemp used to be agent for the Whitlock made Montesa frames back in 1973/74 before he started his shop BVM Moto in Stroud, Gloucestershire. It'd be worth asking him and I'm wondering if the letters 'MK' refer to his initials rather than standing for mark 7.

Edited by Lowbrow
  • Like 1

Quick answer from mark Kemp, and my Rickman frame becomes a Whitlock frame.

Thank's to everybody for the help. :thumbup::):rotfl:

"Dear Francois,

Yes your frame definitely is one of the Montesa frames that Mick Whitlock built for me.

We sold a good number of them because they were lighter and stronger than the originals.

They also looked great beeing chrome plated!!

Hoping that this helps you,

Best Wishes, Mark Kemp, BVM MOTO"