Will It Be Competitive?

johnnyboxer

Currently my bke is fitted with 4.5 inch Domino Bars with brace and I think I'm going to find them too low (I'm 6'1" and 15.5 stone).

20 years ago I seem to remember we all had 6" Renthals...........with no cross-brace and they were strong enough then........are they still available without a brace??...........I've only seen 6" Renthals with a brace

If you want trials bars like the Renthals we used in the 1970s, the closest thing I have found are high-rise aluminium alloy trials bars made by AFAM. They have the same rise as the 1970s 6" rise Renthals.

The Renthals that are sold today supposedly with a 6" rise have a much lower rise than 6" rise Renthals from the 1970s. I suspect Renthal changed their measurement method somewhere along the line.

The AFAM bars come with a brace similar to modern Renthals and which can be removed if desired. They don't look quite as good to my 45 year old eyes with the brace fitted on an old bike, but it certainly prolongs the working life of the bars if you crash a bit or do lots of heavy landings.

If you want seriously high rise trials bars, Fred Carter in New Zealand sells lovely replica KT250 handlebars which are a couple of inches higher again than the AFAM bars.