Carb Upgrade

slim285

Hi does anyone have an idea of what carb upgrade i can use on my 349 cota as the standard Amal carb seem to have a bad rap.I have seen an ad for a mikuni carb for a montesa but have no idea of the serial number or part number.

• 2 weeks later...

Something to think about when changing the carb are all the conections.

I swapped my Amal for a Mikuni.

Had a lot of trouble running the petrol pipe as the Amal's is at the bottom of the float bowl.

The Mik has a bigger diameter connector midway up the body so is very tight on the petrol tap.

I have reconditioned the amal now with new needle and jets and all is running well enough.

so i take it no-one has changed from an Amal carb to something else then ok has anyone used a mikuni carb or a kiehin carb on a 349 ssdt.

Unless the Amal is worn out stick with it, they work fine. I had a Cota 350 when they were new and there was nothing wrong with the way it ran with the Amal carb.

If the carb is worn you could try a 26mm or 28mm OKO as they work pretty well out of the box with minimal changes on a MH349. Mikunis are a real pain to jet as there are many variants and they use different needle jet/needle combinations and the range of these combinations is huge, there are different slides for the different bodies, so unless you know what you have (if you get a used one) it is difficult to know exactly what to order for parts. As someone else has mentioned there are other issues, different fuel pipe sizes, different inlet spigot sizes on different carbs, adjusting screws on the wrong side etc. If you're Amal is worn out and you are buying a used carb, Dellorto, Mikuni or whatever, it could be in the same state. A new OKO is about

Edited by Woody

for the money and time spent i'd refurb or replace your amal. bits are easily come by as in knowledge ( my 247 cota ran a dream with new float/ slide/ jets /needle and all for 20 quid) if using another brand you've the connecting issues plus the jetting etc. if you want to mess with your bike change the brand if you want to ride the bike refurb the amal.