Wheel Alignment

houseape1000

Does anyone have an easy way of aligning the rear wheel, in the past I've just eyed it through, but I can't seem to do that with the scorpa......

For some unknown reason, it seems to be offset.

If I line it up with the shock mount it looks as if its turning in towards the right hand peg.

I placed a combi square on the outside edge (from the rear) of the swing arm and it measured 75mm to the edge of the rim, but it measured 70mm on the left.....but looks to be running true....

Can somebody please enlighten me.

ps. Ive been a welder/fitter for 8 yrs, and a sheet-metal/fabricator for 8yrs, so I'm not entirely clueless....( although I am now a shiny-a***, manager and cad draughtsman so not hands on anymore ) :thumbup:

Any help appreciated....

Country method; two lengths of straight timber, steel, what have you, both longer than the bike and spaced apart parallel so the back tyre fits snuggly in between at one end. Where is the front wheel in relation to these? Is the clearance the same both sides? Adjust, curse as necessary!

Trials bikes don't necessarily have the wheels running on the same centreline so you may find the clearance differs from side to side though they are parallel. If you want a good straight edge use a couple of fluorescent tubes.

Does anyone have an easy way of aligning the rear wheel, in the past I've just eyed it through, but I can't seem to do that with the scorpa......

For some unknown reason, it seems to be offset.

If I line it up with the shock mount it looks as if its turning in towards the right hand peg.

I placed a combi square on the outside edge (from the rear) of the swing arm and it measured 75mm to the edge of the rim, but it measured 70mm on the left.....but looks to be running true....

Can somebody please enlighten me.

ps. Ive been a welder/fitter for 8 yrs, and a sheet-metal/fabricator for 8yrs, so I'm not entirely clueless....( although I am now a shiny-a***, manager and cad draughtsman so not hands on anymore ) :huh:

Any help appreciated....

Have a look here at 4:20, if your alignment is similar you have a problem.

eye up the chain as being straight is about all you can or need to do. Just stand a few feet away and look along top of the chain...mostly the snail cams are pretty good guide. I once overtensioned a new chain and set of on the thursday of the scottish on a ty yam (same engine as Scorpa?) thinking it would stretch in as the day went on and got half way across top of blackwater jumping bogs and landed a bit hard only to pull the whole bearing housing (crankcase half apart at the gearbox sprocket bearing) an embarassing and costly reminder that trials bikes are fragile ..even the yam engine. Ps posted today. Just re read your original post (always get carried away reminicing!) have you got pacers wrong? I mean the chain has to be in line doesnt it!

Edited by chewy

eye up the chain as being straight is about all you can or need to do. Just stand a few feet away and look along top of the chain...mostly the snail cams are pretty good guide. I once overtensioned a new chain and set of on the thursday of the scottish on a ty yam (same engine as Scorpa?) thinking it would stretch in as the day went on and got half way across top of blackwater jumping bogs and landed a bit hard only to pull the whole bearing housing (crankcase half apart at the gearbox sprocket bearing) an embarassing and costly reminder that trials bikes are fragile ..even the yam engine. Ps posted today. Just re read your original post (always get carried away reminicing!) have you got pacers wrong? I mean the chain has to be in line doesnt it!

When everything seems to run in line, it seems as though the wheel is offset slightly, I was wondering i it was the wrong wheel (although I don't think so) or perhaps the swingarm twisted slightly.....

I will have to try harder, the bike felt alright before removing the wheel, so it must be alright then. I over-complicate things all the time. I find faults where there are none. Oh my god, I must be turning into the wife! :huh: