Which 2010 Gasser?

kevo

Hello Guys,

My first post here and I think I have done a daft thing. I am in need of some sound advice.

After much searching and deliberation, yesterday I ordered a 2010 TXT Pro gasser and paid a 40% down payment.

Now I live on a small island in Indonesia close to Singapore which is where the only registered dealer for SE Asia is.

I havent ridden trials since mid 80's back in UK so I may as well be a newcomer and cos of this I ordered the 250cc model thinking it would be much easier to handle and "learn" on than a bigger model. But the dealer talked me into ordering the 280cc model. To cut a long story short, I am now having serious regrets and think I should have stuck to my guns. What do you guys think? Is there really that much difference, should I change the order? Delivery is 45 days so still plenty of time :huh:

Also, what sort of spare parts (if any) should I order in advance?

Edit to add: I am 6' 3", weigh 220lbs and most of the riding will be through hilly, forrest (sometimes muddy) over loose, sharp rocks and large bedrock.

Much appreciate your advice guys,

Kevo

Edited by Kevo

From a strictly impartial (other brand) rider, the 250 is a sweet ride, and as an older rider I prefer that as it is just more gentile las I rode one.

If you tend(or want) to be more aggerssive, you will not be limited by the bigger bike. They are great, just MORE power that can become a bit much and then you find yourself wanting to settle the bike a bit, yet still easily done with slow throttles, flyweights and such.

As in everything, there is a tradeoff, your choice?

:huh:

hi, i have the 280cc at present. im pretty sure you will like it. The power delivery on mine is really smooth after putting a slow action throtle on.

My dad has the 250 and belive me there is not allot between them,if anything i think the 280 pulls better on the lower rev range. If you were asking me i woyld say stick to the 280, but the choice is yours?

I had the same thoughts but went for the 280 this year, i have had 250 's in past but thought the 280 would pull better and i was not dissapointed. Thing is if you find too quick you can tame it down cheaply but to try and get more power is harder. Also i heard that gassers die of a bit so it will probably feel like a 250 in six months. Stick to your guns its not gonna be like mega hard for you to ride at all. Make sure you alter your gearing as standard is too quick i simply changed my front sproket and made it a lot slower and smoother.

Good luck and post again when you have ridden.

Hi Fellas,

I'm really made up with your replies and am considering your advice really carefully, thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

Where I live, it is impossible to get a test ride so I hope you can understand why I feel a bit confused.

I have been out of trials for so long I am totally clueless about the performance and power capabilities of the modern bikes.

Its funny but i remember when i had my old fantic 240 and my brother in law got an armstrong 320 and that was a total beast at the time. I guess i just dont want to end up in the same position as him if i go ahead with the 280.

The dealer did say that he had sold a lot more 280 models in 2009 than 250's so i guess the higher power bikes dont scare the little asian guys :huh:

thanks again for all your advice :huh:

Kevo

Hi Kevo,

Several years ago, I used to travel to our manufacturing facility in Batam on a regular basis. Never saw any trials bikes over there - but plenty of 2t scooters buzzing about! Used to use them as taxis when feeling lucky. I'll never forget playing golf at "Palm Spring" golf course. Interesting place - glad I was able to experience it.

Like others said, the 250 usually does better "between the ribbons" for clubman level riders, as the power is alittle smoother and easier to master. I have a 250 and it seems to get better grip in the wet slippery stuff than the stock 280's. (i assume you will have some slippery conditions...) That said, we have had good luck with head spacers taming the 280's more abrupt mid range and smoothing things out. The good news is that the 2010 has the S3 head with the adjustable comp insert! Sooo, if you end up feeling like you want to slow the bike down to improve grip/control and a slow throttle and gearing doesnt do it, then this would be a very easy thing to change.

In terms of spares, a new bike shouldnt need much, I might stock a waterpump and clutch master cylinder rebuild kits along with the std consumables (your dealer should have) like levers, sparkplugs, plastic, handlebars ect...

Also - I had never heard of gassers "falling off" in power in six months - 6 years maybe.

Enjoy the new bike - and good luck in Batam!

hey laser,

thanks for your reply. I know palm springs GCC well, we are lucky enough to have 6 top class golf courses on such a small island. are you in oil and gas by any chance? having considered all replies and after checking other threads i'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and tell him to change the order to a 250cc. i think that will be plenty of power for my purposes and maybe in a cpl of years i will be ready for something bigger. many thanks to everyone else for your time. :huh:

i will post again when i have ridden my new bike,

thanks fellas,

Kevo.

I have been out of trials for so long I am totally clueless about the performance and power capabilities of the modern bikes.

Its funny but i remember when i had my old fantic 240 and my brother in law got an armstrong 320 and that was a total beast at the time. I guess i just dont want to end up in the same position as him if i go ahead with the 280.

Kevo

''..modern bikes''...Hmmm?

I went from a tired (1982?) 242 twin-shock Montesa to a new-ish (1994?)GasGas jtr 250, and after 2 outings on the new steed put it into storage for 3 months....big culture shock... :huh:

I am currently helping a mate (ex-motocross/enduro/quad background) look for a ''modern'' trials-bike and he is a little rusty to say the least,

we've gone from testing mine (290 Sherco) to trying a Beta 250, Gasser 200.....now we think he'd be ok with a modern 125 :huh:

hey laser,

thanks for your reply. I know palm springs GCC well, we are lucky enough to have 6 top class golf courses on such a small island. are you in oil and gas by any chance? having considered all replies and after checking other threads i'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and tell him to change the order to a 250cc. i think that will be plenty of power for my purposes and maybe in a cpl of years i will be ready for something bigger. many thanks to everyone else for your time. :huh:

i will post again when i have ridden my new bike,

thanks fellas,

Kevo.

I was involved with the computer storage buisness, in the batamindo ind park - was eventually bought out by Panasonic when the industry took a header. I played several other courses there - always trying to get out in front of the crowds coming in from singapore. Many fun memories come to mind.

I think you will love the 250. Its really the best club level bike IMHO. Many of the top riders here ride them and do amazing things on them. I can crash any of the models equally well....

Definately stay tuned in and let us know how you like it. Pics of Nagoya too!

Good luck