Chains And Sprockets Which Sizes ?

old trials fanatic

Hi need to replace the chain and sprockets on the James. Now it's been running on a 428 chain but i've seen some on a 520. Same with cubs now most people seem to run a 420 on the cub but it seems a bit light duty to me.

So what does the panel think about chain sizes? i know sprockets are a personal choice but i was wondering what people are fitting to their Pre65 bikes. twinshock is easy as most of the factory details are pretty good anyway so stick with them but the Pre65 bikes are all so modified nowadays i was just wondering what you have fitted to your Cub, C15, B40, James, Bantam etc etc etc

:o

246cc Cub runs with a 520 chain but it's a bit tight between the clutch and gearbox - wears away the split link, must get round to fitting a rivet type.

Also, now Serco have gone I'm not too sure where I could get a new front sprocket. Anyone know who made them for Serco?

Thanks,

I've always found Talon to be very helpful but was rather concerned to see the statement on trialsbits website that whilst they stock Talon rear sprockets for Cubs in 520 size, fronts are unavailable

Thanks,

I've always found Talon to be very helpful but was rather concerned to see the statement on trialsbits website that whilst they stock Talon rear sprockets for Cubs in 520 size, fronts are unavailable

FWIW i have always found Talon also most helpful in the past but i am now having serious missgivings about them.

Not only are they now unable to supply 520 front sprockets for the cubs they now refuse to supply ANY gearbox sprockets for ANY of the Villiers engines. They now state "we are no longer supplying any villiers sprockets directly to customers trade or retail. For ALL Villiers sprockets you must now buy them through Villiers Services!" :rolleyes::thumbup:

Will i ????? err no i wont.

Think Talon are in the process of losing the plot guys :rolleyes:

The Talon statement probably means that they have done a 'sole supply' deal with Villiers Services and Im guessing it is because Villiers sprockets are low volume quantities compared with other markets and it makes commercial sense to make one big batch rather than several small and irregular ones. I'm sure Talon would do the same thing for the Cub if someone commits to a good sized order.

I personally dont see what the problem is buying from Villiers Services. I've been using them for many years without any problem whatsoever.

Damn nice chap At villiers services sorted my ignition out over the phone whilst he was having his tea! having said that somebody there needs a bit of cadjoling to get the info from. none the less they know there stuff and have the stock cant ask for more..