Villiers Electronic Ignition

bassman

You may struggle to convince the 'commitee' that your sprite is 1964 unless you have some undisputable evidence, certainly they were in production in 65 and a few, very few individual bikes ( less than a dozen) may have been made in 64, ( i'd suspect you'd need written or photographic evidence that identified your specific bike as been built/ ridden in 1964, a v5 probably wouldnt do it.) your telescopic forks would be from a 67 or later bike with earlier bikes having the leading link forks.

setting that aside getting a ride at the first time of asking on any 250 two stroke would be a rare thing, at least volunteer to observe this year otherwise you've probably only a very very slim chance of been drawen from the ballot.

You may struggle to convince the 'commitee' that your sprite is 1964 unless you have some undisputable evidence, certainly they were in production in 65 and a few, very few individual bikes ( less than a dozen) may have been made in 64, ( i'd suspect you'd need written or photographic evidence that identified your specific bike as been built/ ridden in 1964, a v5 probably wouldnt do it.) your telescopic forks would be from a 67 or later bike with earlier bikes having the leading link forks.

setting that aside getting a ride at the first time of asking on any 250 two stroke would be a rare thing, at least volunteer to observe this year otherwise you've probably only a very very slim chance of been drawen from the ballot.

Wot you mean there isnt a free and fair ballot ? or did you mean his entry wouldnt even be put in the "ballot" :)

Don't know whether to find it sad or funny really that a genuine 1965 bike with REH forks (which are 1966 maybe? but totally inefficient against modern cartridge type) isn't elligible, but a 2010 spec James/Franny B/Cub/Ariel is perfectly acceptable.

In all honesty I think you have little chance of an entry on the Sprite as they don't seem to want them there.

Thanks Woody. What flywheel weight does you friend with the Sprite have on his Electrex ignition, 3.5 or 4.5 kg please? I'd like to talk to him. If it's OK could you please send me a message with his details please.

He has a look on this forum occasionally so I'll get him to answer you.

Thanks Woody. What flywheel weight does you friend with the Sprite have on his Electrex ignition, 3.5 or 4.5 kg please? I'd like to talk to him. If it's OK could you please send me a message with his details please.

Hi,I fitted the Electrex ignition about 6 months ago after running points,all I can say is that it transformed the motor completely,it plonks down to nothing without stalling,picks up smoothly and revs out clean,the most noticable thing is the advance,when in top gear on a gradiant you can feel the advance making the motor pull strong on acceleration.The unit itself is quality and easy to fit and time up and im running the 3.5 weight,I changed the plug from a 7 to a 6 and its never missed a beat,only thing it mighy need now is a slightly bigger main jet for wot.

As for the REH forks you can get them to work very well,I used Bultaco progressive springs and 250ml of 15 weight per leg,Id say they work as well as any of my other bikes.

• 3 months later...