2006 Sy250

g520

Hi all.

I need to carry a spare spark plug in my tool kit, since I am going for longer rides. I searched this forum and found that people are using plugs with different heat range. From 5 to 8. Confusing. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some examples:

Clicky

:rolleyes:

Just an example.....

As far as I know, if a plug is hot, it means it cant transfer its heat through the cylinder head as easily as a cold plug. There is a well between the threads and the electrode the deeper this is, the colder the plug.

Although I stand to be corrected on this, I might have it the wrong way around.

There's quite a bit of info on the plug manufacturers sites...

Edited by houseape1000

With NGK plugs, the lower the number, the hotter the tip of the centre electrode operates at. If you are going to ride your Scorpa at sustained high power output, you should use a cool plug ie an 8 or 9 - to prevent the electrode tip from geting too hot. The problems with getting the tip too hot are:

The tip disappears fast

The tip radiates heat to a localised region of the piston crown and may cause it to soften and develop a hole

When the tip glows, the fuel mixture can be ignitied by the glowing metal rather than the spark, so the timing of ignition is no longer being controlled.