Gas Gas Grip Problems

cjs28

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the same bike and its very strong off the bottom end. It pulls high gears and can dig into softer terrain nicely, but it's how you feed in the power (clutch etc.) on the slippery clay/grassy slopes type surfaces that seems to be the problem. It certainly doesn't seem to be ideal for riding styles that use only a small amount of clutch. It's also very wearing as it takes a fair bit of concentration to feed the power in smoothly.

Make sure your rear suspension is set nice and compliant though, it'll give you a chance to ride with a bit more weight on the rear without it kicking you forward all the time. As I recall... maybe incorrectly!!! It needs to drop at least a third of the travel with you stood on it... are they 180mm??? at the back... so work on at least 60mm drop.

If you are a beginner then good luck! These type of bikes are nice to blast about on, but when it comes to real riding in sections only 0.5% of the trials riders ought to have such a thing (and these guys get them for nothing!). But it's like most things for us... more is better, when really it isn't. The 160 Gasser was a much easier bike to ride!!! I still wouldn't consider changing mine for anything lesser though :o

Edited by Rosey

Mike says all you need to know (motomerlin) Its a pecadillo of mine to "run " a tyre in i.e get it hot.. good blat down the ring road at 4 psi untill sidewalls are squirming about.

Edited by chewy

Cheers for the replies I have ordered a new IRC tyre and slower throttle body and go from there,Ill take some tools and have a play with the suspension while we are out,As for trying other bikes I have done this and the Beta just seems to grip really easy, my mates then go on mine and can't get up the hills that they can on their Betas.It is getting really frustrating and I did almost px against a beta at bvm but I do like the feel of the gasser and how it turns etc,

One friend is buying a evo 250 2010 next week so ill try that and that might convince me to change.

Cheers Chris

The keihen is akin to a supercharger on a GasGas. MotoMerlins suggestion of fitting a dellorto will tame it down immediately. Better still is a 26ml OKO for the accurate tuning and super smooth running characteristics of a Keihen without the aggression. Fit a slow throttle tube as well.

I dont think a tyre really comes into it that much as after 2 or 3 rides the edge is off. I find a tyre is great then stays pretty good for ages then really goes off. A ex british rider told me he preferred a worn tyre in the drier months if on rocks as the wall was mega soft, and said he would do the scottish on one tyre if it lasted. I take that with a pinch of salt.

Save youre cash and the bike sell it and get something that will suit you. The engine mapping will be different to all other Gassers and possibly the cylinder porting. Then you need flywheel weight most top riders used 300 07 standard model with keihen carb and a weight with slow action throttle, as told by one when i bought mine second hand in 07. Ive done the Scott and Jackwood and seen the Raga riders hanging on for grim death after 30 sections or more just because of the shear power delivery, not impressive to see a rider beating me then failling everything knackered later on.

A 200cc is possibly the best adult bike to start trials on then onto 250.

I've had the 300,280,225 and 250 gassers and the easiest of the lot by far to ride is the 250. Its very soft and its grips fantastic. In my opinion not many riders need a 300, only perhaps the very top riders. I know there is a 250 raga on the classifieds which would give you the best of both worlds cos it looks fancy but is not a handfull in the slightest. Maybe worth a look. When I had a 300 it was a case of the bike riding me and not vice-versa like it should be.

Had the new tyre fitted and have put on the slower throttle so will give it a try,I will probably keep the bike a untill the autumn at least as I have spent a fair bit on it already due to needing to have the swing arm powder coated and engine casing,New chain and sprockets and a few other bits as it was pretty tatty when I bought it from BVM,Plus its still good fun to ride and to practice the slow stuff where balance is needed.

Then I might start looking at some deals when the 2011 bikes are being launched and when I have got a bit more experience so that I know what I want from a bike and how I like it to feel to suit me.

Cheers Chris

The keihen is akin to a supercharger on a GasGas. MotoMerlins suggestion of fitting a dellorto will tame it down immediately. Better still is a 26ml OKO for the accurate tuning and super smooth running characteristics of a Keihen without the aggression. Fit a slow throttle tube as well.

Sorry to jump on your thread here, but i have an '09 250 Pro and I seem to read everywhere that the 09 250 is super smooth power, smoother than any of the other models yet mine is not. A few weeks ago I tried 3 bikes one after the other just as a comparison and the differences were massive. 1st I had a ride on an '02 Sherco 250 felt all OK until I got off it onto a 300 Raga 07 of another mates, I know that they are worlds apart in tech but it was the smoothness that got me straight away and I thought hmmm thats nice. I then got on another gasser of the same year '07 but a 280 Pro. This felt a lot more snappy, and my 250 gives the same sort of feel. I really want for the smoothness that I felt on my mates raga, now a couple of things I have learned over the last few weeks may go some way to explain, firstly slow action throttles....I dont know for sure yet but im willing to bet he maybe has a slow action throttle (will have to ask) just with it being a raga and a bit of a beast. I have a quick action throttle. Also, my bike has the Khein carb on it, I did recieve the standard Dellorto carb with it, my question is should i maybe run it with the standard carb and also why would someone put the Khein carb on it? I mean I understand the quality and the jet-ability of a Khein but really why would you want one over a standard one just so Ican understand myself.

Thanks

Edited by Lightfeet

Hi Lightfoot, You have a 09 Gas Gas 250 that is fitted with a 28ml keihen and a fast action throttle, (white tube) ?

I would suggest you fit the standard dellorto that you received with your bike to feel the difference, this will give you an indication of how much more responsive and aggressive the keihen transforms the motor characteristics.

The bikes previous owner may have been a more experienced rider and was looking for the instant hit the Keihen delivers, and there is no denying the Keihen holds it tune better and can be tuned so much more easily and accurately compared to the dellorto.

I struggled with mine having come off a Beta 250 rev3. I changed to a slow action throttle and then really like the bike. Its possibly the cheapest quickest and most effective fix. I guess they change year to year as an 07 280 is a beast but ive heard an 09 280 is the in between a 250 and 300.

Not keen on the 2010 model prefer the 09 for looks

Hi Lightfoot, You have a 09 Gas Gas 250 that is fitted with a 28ml keihen and a fast action throttle, (white tube) ?

I would suggest you fit the standard dellorto that you received with your bike to feel the difference, this will give you an indication of how much more responsive and aggressive the keihen transforms the motor characteristics.

The bikes previous owner may have been a more experienced rider and was looking for the instant hit the Keihen delivers, and there is no denying the Keihen holds it tune better and can be tuned so much more easily and accurately compared to the dellorto.

Yes I have waht you just said there, i am going to try the delorto carb tomorrow but have also ordered a slow action throttle which has arrived today so im going to fit that first and see how it feels. As for the previous owner being experienced, he wasnt, he told me that himself, to be honest it seemed to me he had more money than sense (not to sound nasty or anything), he's the owner of Fro Systems, Mark. I think he maybe just heard that it was the thing to do to put hte Khein carb on and therefore bought one, or who knows it may have already been on?? Either way I dont think it was put on for an experienced rider.

Thanks

I struggled with mine having come off a Beta 250 rev3. I changed to a slow action throttle and then really like the bike. Its possibly the cheapest quickest and most effective fix. I guess they change year to year as an 07 280 is a beast but ive heard an 09 280 is the in between a 250 and 300.

Not keen on the 2010 model prefer the 09 for looks

I got the slow action throttle now as I said above am gonna fit it tomorrow and see how it feels.... I do like the idea of the extra puch that the Khein gives but you need control with power so thats what im hoping for. Just need to know how to set up the dark art that is suspension next!! :o Like I said I just got it and have been doing all the things that I think will put my mind at rest i.e. Chain and sprockets all replaced, all swingarm and linkage bushes and bearings replaced. All cables oiled etc etc. I checked the front suspension and both the rebound and compression are wound all the way out counter-clockwise i.e. on zero. Not sure where the rear is at yet.

Ok quick update went out today at shatterford with the new tyre and slow throttle and it was like a different bike,much more grip with the IRC tyre and I found I could ride alot slower because I didn't have to attack everything at warp factor 8 and instead I could just potter around with the back gripping.

I have still got to be careful with the power in fact probably more so now that the bike grips better ,

Anyway cheers for the help Chris