Using A Trials Bike As A Daily Ride?

tomog

Tomog, that 2 stroke thing should not be a problem, 2 strokes made good bikes for many years before 4 strokes became popular. My most important concern would be tires; premature wear and effectiveness in rainy weather, other than that you should be good traveling just 10 miles, have a ball.

In my opinion there's a few things to consider, I hope you don't mind me being a little blunt.

Riding a trials bike ten miles each way won't do it any harm occasionally, but doing this on a daily basis will soon wear it out. They are not designed for this type of use, the engines tend to knock and clank when they are on the road and of course it's not a comfortable ride either. A bigger front sprocket will help by raising the cruising speed.

Then there's the problem of the law. Realistically to stay inside the law (and they are likely to take an interest in a trials bike zipping along at 8.30 on a Monday morning) you will need to fit decent front and rear lights including a brake light unless you can do the journey in daylight. You will also need a registered bike with an mot, a full sized number plate, a speedo and a horn. None of this is a major issue, but it is likely that any second hand 125 trials bike will not have these things.

Also, you have the problem of security, a trials bike will attract serious attention from the local joy riders so you wil need an ignition switch (to stop anyone from just jumping on and starting it up) and a really good chain.

Finally, when you have got your road registered bike fully sorted and legal, you then have to think whether or not you want to ride it at weekend off road. Remember, you will need it the very next day for college, so you won't want to break it. Kind of takes the fun out of competing when you think about it.

Sorry to be so negative, naturally it can be done but is it really worth it?

Let us know how you get on.

Pete

Cheers for your help

I am only going to be use the bike on a daily basis for the first two months. After then I shouldn't need to use it as regularly as I should have my driving licence and car.

I am currently looking into an early Scorpa 125 long ride. I am not actually sure what year they were first available or whether it

The little 125 Scorpa would certainly do the job as well or possibly better than any other trials bike, it uses the same Yamaha engine as the Yamaha TTR125 kiddies mx bike and the SR125 custom style road bike.

100_0693.jpg

The Long ride version comes with a decent head light and even indicators originally.

100_0697.jpg

They are very well built indeed.

Neilandswans.jpg

And you often see tham in LDT's being ridden as trail bikes.

Hmmmm....

I understand you have a 'transportation' problem...

But trialbike + modification + insurance + (?)

And in a couple of months a car + ....

All that for 1250

I think you have another problem!

For the trialsbike we can give you a lot of advise. For the other things there are 2 people who can be really helpfull.

But probably I didn't listen to my parents neither, when I was your age :o

(maybe thi wasn't what you liked to hear/ only wanted to be direct, not sarcastic or offensive)