Out With The Old ?

ishy

Is it about time the young un's had a go at running the local club, I see many old names still doing the thankless tasks they have for the past 30 years and very few young people stepping up for those positions.

If trials is to continue, who is going to take on the positions when the older volunteer steps down, I don't seem as keen to orgasnise events, but still want to ride while I can, is there a reason more young folk don't want to be involved with the trial organising side, I know when I was younger I jumped at the chance to set out trials how I though they should be done, made a mess of some but learned how to cater for most after a while.

Do we promote getting involved to the younger club members or just keep as is because it

Can't find anything in what you've said to argue with. i would say that I arrived at trials (riding motorbikes) when the world was an easier place to live in we always has somewhere to ride bikes were dead simple to fix and it was fun. We didn't worry about looking good (just as well) or being successfull. Todays youths and younger trials folk are practically oblidged to enter formal events in order to ride with thier mates, they get told off for larking about, and encuraged to get results. It's the nature of trials to have a disciplined approach and to minimise errors etc. What we tend to overlook from within our little world is that there are many other less restricted ways to have fun with your mates. I know the days of 40 mile 40 section single lap trial every week are never coming back but those kind of trials gave/give pleasure in many more ways than 4 laps of 10 and don''t be late home (i.e before 3pm latest) events. I found the best way to stay keen is to only ride events with that extra bit of interest in them instead of routinely finding a trial every week regardless of what it's like. Going back to getting youngsters into club activities I think it's a tricky balancing job (no pun intended) to give them a free hand marking out and then fielding off the controversy and of course how do you get youngsters to sit through club meetings let alone centre board meetings more than once?

Here's a different slant on youngsters getting involved.

My sisters boyfriend and two of his mates....all in their mid 20's, all ex mountain bikers.....decide to have a go at trials, and promptly go off and buy themselves 3 bikes. This was back in the autumn, and they had a crack at a couple of trials, but felt they needed more practise as none of them had particularily ridden motorcycles before.

Then comes the "where can we go practising ?".......which around our neck of the woods is a bit thin on the ground...or so I thought.

I had given them the lecture about, sneeking off into the woods and peeing off land owners/members of the public/police etc and told them about a bit of ground that we used a few years back pointed them in the direction of the landowner and suggested they stock up with, cash/bottles of scotch/chocolates etc and see what happens.

Now these guys are keen and as the novelty of the bikes hadn't worn off were quickly bored of the area I had told them about, so they started asking around and in the space of 6 weeks had 10 different areas they could practise in with the owners permission.....3 of which were excellent venues that were used for trials 20 odd years ago.

The point here is that with a bit of enthusiasm there are still loads of fresh venues to use for trials, all you have to do is ask....maybe go back through some of your clubs old venues or venues from other clubs that have packed in running trials or clubs that no longer exist.

The point here is that with a bit of enthusiasm there are still loads of fresh venues to use for trials, all you have to do is ask....maybe go back through some of your clubs old venues or venues from other clubs that have packed in running trials or clubs that no longer exist.

Done it myself, seen some good terrain and gone and talked with the land owner, nothing better than running an event on a good peice of new land, but I think the best source for more enthusiasm will be with the younger members.

I know I learned by doing, and I think more younger members would step up if they thought it would be their own show and left to their own ideas.

Mebe they don't want to sit through meetings because they feel left out and not heared, and instead of saying that won't work, should we be saying here have a go and show us.

I agree with that too it's just that the last board meeting I went to was 80% minimum of the time dealing with (dare I say it ) ACU stuff; insurance ...ben funds...legislation changes affecting us etc etc..... board meetings for us seem to be definitly for the centre elders. Club meetings are pretty good for us, our chairman is 20 years old and we get through most of our club business pretty quick then generally have a chat & a beer.

I was alluding to the staleness of trials you described being same old thing week in week out and so much "discipline" that youngsters get fed up with it. If we can get them organising then they can interpret and apply rules as they see fit... it might age them a bit though! It was nice to read Martins bit about his cousins I would point out that enthusiasm without restriction feeds itself enthusiasm with responsibility can be a turn off.

Just like the debate over rules, it seems the older end of the sport think the old ways are best, and the younger end prefer the trick stuff, the real truth is! Providing you are riding within your true ability the rules don