Fantic 200

rtm

Guys, I have a Fantic FM250 (125cc) which has been converted to a 156cc by using a liner. Its got a new Piston and ring fitted / new big end new mains and crank seals.

I honed the cylinder a little but didn

• 3 weeks later...

I checked for cracks or leak paths through to both sides of the crank cases - nothing.

I removed 3mm from the skirt as per the old piston and installed it with the 3mm spacer in position.

It nearly killed my trying to get it to fire up and then it ran very poorly indeed.

Stripped it again removed the spacer and it runs slightly better but its still racing.

Too late now to play with it tonight.

That is a good question. The reason or rather my logic was, it once ran with a cut down piston fitted and it must have run for a good few hours as the old cut down piston was worn. & Bill Pye told me I had to cut it down as it was a converted 125! The engine also knocked when running as it something like the piston was hitting something.

Its actually nowrunning the best it ever has and nearly ticks over. But it still fails at those low revs and other times it picks up and revs. I cannot find a constant.

I am wondering it it could be down to float level? or maybe the needle position.

Anyone know the correct float setting ?

After a great deal of faffing about with this fantic. I decided it must must be an air leak. So I removed the carb and simply filled the crank cases up to the inlet port height with paraffin.

It drained away quickly so now I knew there was a leak and it must be into the gearbox as it was not coming out anywhere I could see.

I removed the cluch cover and flooded the garage floor with paraffin. The leak was behind the crank pinion flywheel.

The reason simply being the crank seal installed having a 22mm bore and it should be a 20mm bore.

My excuse is

We have tick over !

Apparently only the very first Fantic’s made (1978/79) had the 20mm diameter crank on the Pinion side. All of the later models were 22mm.

Edited by RTM