Front Forks On Sherco 09

sdeane01

After some help.

Had to change the fork seals on my 09 sherco and ever since i did the forks are rubbish. The front end feels heavy and difficult to bounce around. I put 330ml of motorex oil in each leg.

Any advice on why they are so rubbish. The bike is basically brand new, a few (3 trials).

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm fairly sure you will have put far to much oil in the fork leg, there's a damping rod in the right fork leg that will still be full of oil, you'll have to take it out to drain it properly and it takes a while to get the majority of it out, I don't think you will ever get it all out. When refilling it's better to use the specified oil height measurement then it doesn't matter if you get all the old oil out.

Oil level on right leg: 60mm

With forks at bottom

Qty 370cc

Oil level on left leg: 110mm

With forks at bottom and without spring

Qty 385cc

As a rule of thumb, I always measure what I drain out so as to only refill with the same amount (unless the fork seal was a massive leak) Also, to make sure the forks are not binding, re-tighten the fender bracket and the front axle pinch bolts with the front forks compressed.

I know some say it doesnt matter if 4 or 5 weight oil, but if the number refers to viscosity then going from 4 to 5 weight is a 25% increase. Surely that alone would effect the fork action. I did some maths and gave a value to each ml of oil going in each fork.

Lets say that for each ml of 4 weight oil is given a value of 4 then the Right leg has a value of 1480 and the Left leg has a value of 1540. If the forks were filled with 5 weight and the same rule (but each ml = 5) applied then Right leg has a value of 1850 and the Left leg has a value of 1925!

A table may help

Right 370ml

fork

4 weight = 1480

5 weight = 1850

Left 385 ml

fork

4 weight = 1540

5 weight = 1925

Surely this will make a difference!

To get around this problem perhaps it is best to mix 5 weight and 2.5 weight of the brand of oil Sherco recommend!

If so then this is how it works out.

For the right

5 weight 222 mls

2.5 weight 148 mls

For the left

5 weight 231 mls

2.5 weight 154 mls

Then same volume and same viscosity. Or have i sat up all night thinking for nothing??

Edited by sdeane01

I know some say it doesnt matter if 4 or 5 weight oil, but if the number refers to viscosity then going from 4 to 5 weight is a 25% increase. Surely that alone would effect the fork action. I did some maths and gave a value to each ml of oil going in each fork.

Lets say that for each ml of 4 weight oil is given a value of 4 then the Right leg has a value of 1480 and the Left leg has a value of 1540. If the forks were filled with 5 weight and the same rule (but each ml = 5) applied then Right leg has a value of 1850 and the Left leg has a value of 1925!

A table may help

Right 370ml

fork

4 weight = 1480

5 weight = 1850

Left 385 ml

fork

4 weight = 1540

5 weight = 1925

To get around this problem perhaps it is best to mix 5 weight and 2.5 weight of the brand of oil Sherco recommend!

For the right

5 weight 222 mls

2.5 weight 148 mls

For the left

5 weight 231 mls

2.5 weight 154 mls

Then same volume and same viscosity. Or have i sat up all night thinking for nothing??

You can do a bit of blending if you like, but I have never known anyone that could tell any difference in 4 vs 5 wt.

Seems everyone just uses 5 wt, unless some heavier rider may want something with more vis like 7.5 or 10! :ph34r:

A table may help

Right 370ml

fork

4 weight = 1480

5 weight = 1850

Left 385 ml

fork

4 weight = 1540

5 weight = 1925

For the right

5 weight 222 mls

2.5 weight 148 mls

For the left

5 weight 231 mls

2.5 weight 154 mls

A table may help

Right 370ml

fork

4 weight = 1480

5 weight = 1850

Left 385 ml

fork

4 weight = 1540

5 weight = 1925

For the right

5 weight 222 mls

2.5 weight 148 mls

For the left

5 weight 231 mls

2.5 weight 154 mls

Interesting....give it a try and let us know.

I have just switched from 3w to 5w and it is a BIG difference

Could not get any change using the clickers with 3w (too little compression and too fast on the rebound) so switched to 5w and got the clicker so I like it in a middle setting......so if your clicker is on either end of the spectrum you can slightly change the oil weight either way to get a effect ...it is subtle and takes a good "feel"

My oil level is as mentioned in above post...I will only do it by measured oil height and never ever by volume

• 1 month later...

I've just changed the oil on my 2009 Racing Sherco and now the front end is awfull.

I refilled both legs with 330ml. Should I be measuring 60mm on the right leg from the top? Surely when the suspension is fully compressed (more than 60mm) the damper will go solid because the oil can not be compressed.