Disk Conversion On A Ty175

afroash20

You could use a TY250 Mono front end with either a Pinly set up (genuine Yamaha - disc only) or an aftermarket (J Shirt or Talon - uses standad front drum brake fork sliders) which would also give you the option of using a mono front brake front wheel.

To be honest the second option would be best as I think you would be unable to compete in twinshock events with a later disc brake set up.

The mono drum brake front end id a very popular converion.

Having said that if theres nothing wrong with your existing set up I cant really see the point.

Edited by Dougalthedog

• 4 weeks later...

tried everything to get the drum brake to work well but to no avail so tried this and fitted a fantic front wheel & disc on my ty175 with an aprila bembo caliper, & suzuki rm brake master, a set of wheel spacers were custom made so i could use the original spindle, and a cutom made caliper bracket. forks were turned round and swopped left to right so the caliper is on the back of the fork leg, still needs some fine tuning as im still not happy with it, but yes i can be done, as for why? coz i can

iv tried new cable, ebc shoes, other shoes that have the slots in, drum degreased and they still didnt work very well, without changing the wheel its all new, the fantic wheel came at a bargain price so gave that a try, but all are no where near as good as the drum on my mates kt250 kwack

iv tried new cable, ebc shoes, other shoes that have the slots in, drum degreased and they still didnt work very well, without changing the wheel its all new, the fantic wheel came at a bargain price so gave that a try, but all are no where near as good as the drum on my mates kt250 kwack

You didn't mention doing the most important things for good drum brakes. The drum surface has to be free of grooving, and the diameter of the drum has to be matched to the diameter of the shoes. Most old drums need machining and then thicker-than-standard shoes machined down to match the drum diameter, or get the drum resleeved back to standard diameter. Your mate's KT probably has either had this done or is still good from being relatively unworn.

The disc will groove up with use too, and when you fit new pads to a grooved disc, they don't work well at all.

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...

I know a guy that has a disc conversion for an old TY for sale. I guess he had it on the enough years ago that it wasn't illegal back then. Basically he machined a piece that could be bolted to the fork to hold a caliper and used a YZ disc brake. If I remember correctly, he is selling the bolt on piece, the disc and brake and the front wheel for around $150.00.