Dt175 Trials Bike

afroash20

From what I remember about the DT 175, I am sure the power would feel somewhat more modern compared to a TY 175. The TY power is just flat and always seems to be just enough, whereas the DT has a stronger mid-range and top end. I guess it just comes down to what you want in a bike.

• 10 years later...

The monoshock DT frame is made from larger section tubing and has a longer (heavier) steering head and heavier hubs and brakes than TY175.

On all the DT175 twinshock and monoshock models, the swingarm is about 75mm too long for trials use and the extra length is in the gusset at the front end of it. The monoshock DT175 front end with leading axle forks has very limited turning angle due to the lack of offset in the yokes and the width of the frame at the steering head.

The frame is much deeper between bottom frame rails and seat rails than than a normal trials bike so body english is limited.

Even with all that wrong as far as trials competition is concerned, all you need to do to make them great fun to ride in extreme terrain is to move the footpegs back a few inches so you can more easily ride standing up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The monoshock DT frame is made from larger section tubing and has a longer (heavier) steering head and heavier hubs and brakes than TY175.

On all the DT175 twinshock and monoshock models, the swingarm is about 75mm too long for trials use and the extra length is in the gusset at the front end of it. The monoshock DT175 front end with leading axle forks has very limited turning angle due to the lack of offset in the yokes and the width of the frame at the steering head.

The frame is much deeper between bottom frame rails and seat rails than than a normal trials bike so body english is limited.

Even with all that wrong as far as trials competition is concerned, all you need to do to make them great fun to ride in extreme terrain is to move the footpegs back a few inches so you can more easily ride standing up.

I have recently come to the decision to sell my Gasgas EC250.  It's geared down and has a fan kit fitted, I was considering getting a slow throttle, gentle power valve spring, and head spacer.  But I've come to the conclusion that it's just not the right tool for the job, it would be a compromise at best no matter what I do.

Same goes for the DT - a fantastic tool at what it was designed for, but a trials bike it is not.