Advice On First Bike

captainslackdabber

Hi Guys. I've been reading some topics on here regarding machine choice for first timers and opinions seem divided as to which one is best. So rather than ask for someone to recommend a specific make and model, my question is this. Would a year 2000 Gas Gas txt250 be suitable for a novice trial rider? I'll be competing in the 'ahem', over 40's class, and I've covered more miles on road bikes than I'd care to think about.

So, what do you lot think?

i would stretch the bank and go newer. Beta Rev3 or Montesa 315r would be the best bet for value. Avoid early Sherco and Gas Gas pro as they seemed trouble. Scorpa is not good IMOA. The Beta Rev3 is donkeys years old gear box engine design as new 94 up to the current model less a few tweaks, so tried and tested. Mont`s are really Honda so Jap quality not what youre father said in his day.

At the end of the day try some bikes as i say its like asking what wine is good to drink.

Hmmm, I appreciate what you are saying Ralphy. Unfortunately 200's are pretty thin on the ground around here. but I had thought abought a 125. I wasn't sure whether a smaller bike would require better technique. I may have access to a Sherco 270 and GG125 next weekend in a beginners trial, which should be helpful.

Back up ralphy's comments go further to suggest a Beta Rev 3 200 if you can get your hands on one. Very neutral handling, more than powerful enough and a great bike to learn on. There are 200's about, depends on your budget.

If you go for a 250 get it softened out as much as you can till you're confident in your basic techniques, slow throttle, flywheel weights, second base gasket if that's what it needs.

Montesa 315r was still wining world rounds when Beta Rev3 GasGas Txt Pro and Sherco was out almost in current forms. If you want buget buget buy quality as a good old tried n tested nail is better than a new unknown. Also forget 125 as its under powered and you`ll just be fighting to get the power unlike yes a 200 which is probably the best beginners bike. Anything beyond 250 will be way to much in power and just cause you problems taming the bike.

if i was you i would look around and get some test rides before you buy so you know what you want and how the different bikes ride. personally i would say that a 125 would be spot on for you as they have nice soft power and will allow you to learn the correct techniques for riding different things but yet are forgiving enough for you to get out of situations. a 200 would also be good, a little more power but just as easy to ride as a 125.i think that once you get onto the bigger bikes such as a 250 and so on as a novice you rely on the power of the bike to get you around and dont concentrate on technique which is what you need in trials. look at the world round riders especially the likes of wiggy who completed a full year on the junior route on a 125, if the bikes have enough power for them to do the stuff they are doing then the bike has ample power for a club/novice rider.

yeah maybe wiggy isnt the heaviest person but he can do more on a 125 bike then alot of people can do which shows that the bike has the power to do it but yeah you might need to rev it abit more to get it to do the bigger stuff. have you ever rode a 125 in a trial smalley250?? im 14 stone and have rode several 125s and i can tell you that a 125 has more power than you realise and i also know of several guys who ride novice trials who use to have the bigger cc bikes such as the 250 etc and have actually bought newer bikes and gone to 125 bikes as they find them easier to handle, grip better and have improved their scores no end after changing but have enough power for them.

i always find this topic fascinating, i first rode a ty175 25 years ago then a Mont 349 and i have had too many to mention over the years, i bought a TX 270 in 98 and kept that until 2006 when i bought at beta200 and i have to say it carries my 16 stone up anything i have thrown it at.

My advice is buy a bike get riding, meet some great people, but most of all ENJOY IT.

Yes rode most bikes and me mate currently rides a 125 his sons. Look a 125 will do anything i accept that but im 13 stone and me mate is what 10 stone and he admits you have to think about the power/ torgue as its not on tap like a bigger bike. A young kid will learn with this but an adult im not so sure, so id say get a 250 soften it of if require then alter it and you keep the same bike saving money and investing in what you keep if on buget.

Thanks for all the advice guys, some very helpful comments. I'm still not sure about the Gas Gas though. I get the message that it is old and possibly a bit overpowered, but lets say I've decided to go for a 250. Would it be any worse or better than another 250 of similar vintage? The one I have my eye on is in very good nick and quite local, although a price has yet to be discussed. Like a lot of beginners I'm aiming to spend around