4rt Not Running Right

clarkie

hi all i hope this will be a quick fix...? you know when somethings not right well first i start the bike and it takes 2 kicks instead of one then it does not seem to tickover like it used to ie slower but that gets better when its warm the main issue is that it starts spluttering and wont rev out

and i get a little smoke and flame out the exhaust as its trying to rev out ,hoping this is effects of unburnt fuel has anyone had same problem and could it be just a new spark plug even thou the one in is two trials old...

any advice will be greatly recieved.....

its a 2008 4rt repsol

Try a new spark plug first, dont touch the throttle whatsoever untill the fan kicks in, mine will foul a plug if throttle is opened before the fan kicks in from cold like many others.

Jimmy, bike ran sweet all day at the Colmore, most sections were flat out climbs in deep mud, no signs of a missfire at all

Edited by The Addict

Nice to hear old Gertie is back on song - what was weather like - been better than expected here in South Wales so trust not too bad in the cotswolds.

Have found in the past that if you foul a plug they will miss and back fire - need to get them warm to run right. If its just the plug if you leave bike ticking over seems to get warm enough to clean the plug off.

many Thanks for help. i should add that it starts spluttering and not reving out after about two laps of trial and its happened when its been wet and muddy hope someone can help as have trial weekend and have problems opening it up for big climbs especially if its wet......Thanks in advance

I hope thats not the fuel pump then mate, try another throttle body if the plug and Hams advice doesnt work, my problem was the throttle body, same symptoms as yours but went longer than two laps before it misfired. Hopefully someone you know will lend you there throttle body to try, at least give the original a good clean up first and try again

Edited by The Addict

No idea why it failed, was pure luck or last hope when I changed it, didnt think it would of been that, no made no difference wet or dry, massive missfire after about 3-4 hours, ran fine up till then though? only take you an half hour to swap it so worth a try after youve eliminated the plug

Gday, do those things run a fuel filter or strainer near the pump? Id be looking there if it were me...

Cheers,

Stork

Yes there is a filter mounted around the sump part of the fuel pump, mine was pretty much spotless though after 3 years but as you say be worth a look.

The filter in the pump on the 4rt is a funny thing.

It is a bit like a tea bag on the bottom of the fuel pump filled with pea gravel. I recently have had to clean the filter in both of our 4rts and even have done it on a friends bike. Some seem to remain spotless others pick up a lot of dirt. Mine was filthy when I did it last week for seemingly no reason. I just cleaned it out and the bike is running perfectly again as before it was not 100%.

Rather annoyingly Montesa do not sale them individually. They only come with a whole new fuel pump, setting you back i believe

Thanks guys and that is another option but what bugs me is it runs fine for mybe 2 or 3 laps then plays up like addicts did its like its picking up the fault steadily then starts the spluttering and small flame out the exhaust when i try and rev it high maybe something is failing with heat trouble with mine is it does sort of clear then few minutes later when i try and rev high its back, but it never stalls or try to and will tickover fine it only does it when i try and open her up does that sound familiar addict to your problem only had the bike 4 months.....

don't want be depressing but also sounds a bit like the fuel pump. Fine on low revs and when cold but once really warm just coughs and splutters when revved hard.

Mine was particularly bad having ridden a series of long stream sections then accelerating up the bank and away.

Best option is to swap and change a few bits.

Worth checking earthing wires on the coil - if its worse when wet

Best of luck