Penton Mudlark Wassell Trials Bike

gordo

Very nicely done! I had one of the Bantam powered Wassells that we restored,it was too nice for me to ride [ those that have seen me ride will attest to that ] so instead of keeping it locked away in the shed it's now at the Barber museum in Birhmingham ALA> I hope they get their off road exhibit set up so others can see it . I'll try to post some pics . Cheers , Bruce

I have been told there were around 500 Trials versions built in various forms. They all had Sachs engines. Mine is a Sachs 1251/5A. A popular engine in the 60's and early 70's. The frame is a Wassell and my seat is Wassell as well. Some seats had Penton on them. Mine came with all the stock equipment, including headlight, aluminum fenders and handlebar switches. Hard to find those parts today, as most took them off to save weight. This project was a lot of fun. I just hope the bike is competitive.

Your bike is a fabulous looking example, I used to own one a while ago until I went for my one and only practice session.

The engine is great in a MX bike, absolutly no bottom end plonk on it whatsoever.

Sold it ASAP.

Not sure which motor you had. This is the iron barrel 1251/5A. I have an 11 tooth coutershaft with a 64 rear. Plenty of bottom end for a 60's 125cc. Obviously not like my MAR or TY, but she can crawl. I haven't competed with it yet. First event will be in April.