2000 Txt250

captainslackdabber

I've just bought one and done a hell of a lot of work on it. But I knew what I was getting myself into, and for the price I payed! So far I've polished the frame and all alluminium and chrome parts, done the kickstart pawl gear which involves stripping the clutch and removel of the clutch basket, rebuilt top end, front wheel bearings, sorted out the plastics, new bars leavers ect...

Just listen to it running and listen out for any knocking or slapping noises, check the fork seals, get it on a stand with the back wheel off the ground and check the swingarm bearings for play, give it a ride through the gears just give it a good checking over. Out of curiosity how much you getting it for?

All The Best

Without a doubt the forks will need new oil and the rear shock will need a rebuild. Figure that into your costs.

Oh yeah and it is...........

old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old old

.... so you'll know what you are getting into.

According to the vendor this one has had very little use over the last six years. It looks like new in the pics. If it is as good in the flesh it should represent a good buy, assuming the mechanicals are as well tended as the cosmetics. I'm going to see it tomorow with a mate who knows his stuff, and has owned a G-G, albeit a later model.

Had one of those. Did 3 seasons on it and a ****load of practice with virtually nil problems. Only thing that ever crapped itself was the kickstart shaft and engagement gear after about 6 months. The new one that went in never gave any more problems but I always carried a spare around just in case. All up very reliable bike and pretty well bulletproof.

Just bear in mind you are now looking at a bike that is 10yrs old now and by the sound of things has been sitting around for a while. I would pull off the bashplate and the rubber buffer and check for any corrosion of the cases which was becoming evident on my old bike. Likewise I would pull out the wheels and rip the tyres off to check the rims for corrosion as well. Other than that just do the normal checks as you would on any 2nd hand bike.

Hope this helps

Gman

I bought one about 6 years ago and it was my first modern bike. It served me really well, the fork seals are the easiest ones I've even changed! Did a few bits like linkages and water pump but you would get that on any bike. My old one is still gving good service in the club to a second new owler.

Just got back from looking at it. The bike was very tidy, seemed very genuine as did the owner. Fork seals were weeping and there was a very small leak from the clutch cover. Chain and sprockets were nearing the end, but overall a very nice bike. Unfortunately it is for sale on that well known internet auction site and already it has exceeded what I would call a resonable price for a bike of its age. It still has the best part of a day to run so my guess is that it will go for quite a bit more yet. :crying: Shame, but thats the way the cookie crumbles. Thanks everyone for all the input. Back to the classifieds for me.

bugger...**** happens..

There will always be plenty more bikes out there. Trials sometimes has quite a high turnover rate...even over here where there is a relatively small riding population. I assume you're in Uk so it shouldn't be a problem.

Btw...how much was it on Fleabay????

Cheers

Gman