Need Some Opinions

knucklehead

I am new to the whole trials scene,and I'm looking for my first bike. I have found 2 that are interesting me. What I am wanting to know is the good,bad, and the ugly on them. As I said, this is my first one,so I will be learning on this bike( I have road alot of other bikes,started with a 50 when I was 6 and I am 37 now),so I am new to trials, not motorcycles. Also i stand @ 5'11 and weigh @ 205.

The first bike is a 2000 TXT 200. Am I to big for this bike? Also what are the ups and downs of this model?

The other is a 2002 TXT Pro 280. From what I have read this will be a harder bike to learn on. I also read that they had some slave cylinder problems. This one says that it has had a 2003 clutch update. Is there anything else I need to know before I make a decision?

The decision doesn't have to be made right now, go and have a look at as many as poss for sale, and try them all.

It's easy to fall for the 'bargain of the century' but, there will be another absolute bargain, next week !

The decision is yours. The money is not going to burn a hole in your pocket if you hang on to it for a little while longer.

As far as faults with each bike, I don't know, I will leave that to someone more knowledgable. I agree, it's worth finding this out before looking.

any bike greater than 250 is going to be a lot more difficult to masterthe basics on. i'm just shy of 100kg and my 250 beta hauls me around and over no problems. get something that will require as little work as possible and something that ALL the parts are readily available for, not just filters etc but bearings sprokets etc.

Part of my problem,I guess, is that the closest bike I have found is the 280. And it is a 2 hour drive for me just to go look at it. I have found some closer than the 200, but this looks like a really nice bike, and it is 800 miles away from me. Trials is not a very popular sport in my area. All of the modern trials bikes that I've seen, are all on the web. For me parts will mainly be a internet order.

I am new to the whole trials scene,and I'm looking for my first bike. I have found 2 that are interesting me. What I am wanting to know is the good,bad, and the ugly on them. As I said, this is my first one,so I will be learning on this bike( I have road alot of other bikes,started with a 50 when I was 6 and I am 37 now),so I am new to trials, not motorcycles. Also i stand @ 5'11 and weigh @ 205.

The first bike is a 2000 TXT 200. Am I to big for this bike? Also what are the ups and downs of this model?

The other is a 2002 TXT Pro 280. From what I have read this will be a harder bike to learn on. I also read that they had some slave cylinder problems. This one says that it has had a 2003 clutch update. Is there anything else I need to know before I make a decision?

A 200 TXT is a really gentile 160cc bike, one in perfect shape may be a decent ride, but, I heard pistons are unavailable. Not bad for a learner bike. They had a lot of piston noise early on, sound kinda bad, but do work!

The '02 Pro is not a good start. Find something else!

Something like a Montesa 315 or Scorpa(250's) from that year range may be more up your alley! :crying: