Help With Practice

ive just started trials after a 15 yr gap went out today for the first time and im not to bad lost my balence thow .........any tips on how to get back up to speed ?..........

also i practice in warrington cheshire would anyone care to join me for the odd practice i use a small wooded area with hills and streams ..........

Patience, determination, persistance and patience.

Just whenever you get some spare time, go out to the bike, and even if its in the tight space of the garage, stand on the bike, and try to balance it on the spot. No need to even start it up. Do this whenever you have ten minutes free... Good to kill time, and helps your balance each and everytime you do it.

Will soon see a quick improvement.

Another helpful excersise when you get proper bike time, is to set out a length across a flat surface such as a driveway, private road, garden or field and grab yourself a stopwatch. Try and take aslong as possible to ride from one end, to the other, and back again without putting your feet down. As soon as a foot goes down. Start again.

Try and add to your time as much as possible. Soon it'll get to the point where you end up just standing still for aslong as you want.

Something you can do in the comfort of your garage is some static balancing exercises:

- balance bike stationary on right lock for as long as you can (time this to gauge improvement)

- try on the other lock (you'll probably find one easier than the other - focus on the more difficult side). Concentrate on rfining technique such as keeping your shoulders in line with the bars

- deliberately move the front wheel from right to left and back again while remaining balanced

- deliberately tilt the bike to and from vertical while balanced

- try balancing with the front wheel pointing straight forward - you'll find you go onto one lock or the other but try to get back to the dead-ahead position as soon as possible

- practice balancing without holding the brakes on

- practice balancing with the tyres inflated hard to make it more tricky

Keep this up for half an hour a day and you'll find you don't lose so many marks in your next few trials. Probably.

Concentrate on rfining technique such as keeping your shoulders in line with the bars

Nope. I disagree. Following your bars with your shoulders will only cause your butt (and a butt is a heavy item :rotfl: ) to swing out and cause an off balance. Just my view.

Ralphy

• 2 weeks later...

I try and practice two days a week. Wednesday is focus on the skills like front wheel hops, back wheel hops, and balancing. I still ride in sections, but make sure I stop dead before each obstacle, do at least a 5 count balance, either two front or two back wheel hops before I move into position for the obstacle.

During these sessions I also try and work as much basic terrain skills into the section as possible, like camber turns, small to medium size logs, drop-off's, hill climbs. Then run the section in reverse.

Then saturdays is usually riding with the boys where we practice riding actual sections. We seldom take time during these sessions to practice the basics. And like everyone else have mentioned, spend time on the bike without the engine running, it makes the world of difference!