Moving Up A Class

alan bechard

That's probably the best way, but be careful that they dont loose intrest, they may need a new challange to better themselves. If they are intrinsically motivated then let them do it, keeping them down on a easier course could do them more harm than good.

Hi Alan,

When they can ride under control ? If you need to have a catcher then it's too much.

I believe you need to be able to ride the class above you safely

( not clean, dabs but not crash's) in practice. If they move up can they practice one more class up.

Or are they at there limit.

Too many 5's or Too easy? Tough choice?

Pic and choose the events they move up at. Dry move up,mud stay put.

I am currently in the transition stage from junior up to intermediate at my club. I basically get to choose when I want to. I am still young enough and inexperienced enough to ride junior, but I could move up to intermediate and do reasonably well. If the kids want to move up, practice a few sections of the next class at the next event. If they do ok, then moving up is probably the way to go, so that they don't lose interest.

My lad started in "Small-wheels" when he was 10. Kept him there (despite the moaning) until he was 12 and then moved him to "C" class and the Beginners and Clubman courses. He has done a year on those and has had a few crashes but he keeps getting up and riding on with a smile on his face! He is now "B" class and prefers the clubman's course and I have to fight to keep him down! He is not quite ready to move on yet but is really eager. I'd say that if they are too good for the easier course then you have to move them on and be prepared to catch them every so often. Just make sure that they don't bite off more than they can chew.

Here in the Yorkshire centre we do "lose" riders when they make the switch to the Clubmans course but recently have lost fewer than most years. The trick seems to be making sure they enjoy themselves!

Neither STRA nor TI has mandatory move up policies.

Christina is finishing 3rd Int for the STRA 04 series.

Dean is finishing 1st Nov for the STRA 04 series.

After reading the comments and thoughts here, and listening to the advice of many folks that I trust greatly,

I am going to let Christina try Sportsman on Sunday. Christina and I have agreed to speak with Charlie the STRA safety steward and use his evaluation if there is danger involved.

She has to be close to me one loop and I am maintaining Veto power over section attempts I feel are dangerous. I will probably go out ahead of her and scan them myself, but feel confident that the STRA family will watch out for her and her own good sense will prevent anything untoward from happening.

Dean is going to ride this round in Novice again. I agreed to evaluate his result and review the situation after this event. He could probably move up, but I want to be with him when he does, so it will just wait.

We might go out and try the Intermediate sections together after the event.

There are plenty more events in the year.

Thanks for everyone's insights and experiences.

Will post how the decisions came out on Monday.

Well we flip flopped like a bream on the deck, but ended up back to what I said here. Christina in Sportsman and Dean in Novice.

Dean did well, rode with Jessie all day (thanks Jessie) and it looks like a real dogfight is shaping up in the Novice class with a bunch of the kids at real similar skill levels (and scores) I think this is exciting as that is the formulae in my opinion to push all the kids ability levels up quick.

While discussing Christina riding up with Charlie, our STRA sporting steward, TTC master trainer, and generally great guy, he made an offer that Christina could ride with him.

I have absolute confidence in his judgement and ability, and Christina was definetely not in to riding with "dad" so this was an excellent opportunity for us.

I stayed to the back, and watched and learned as we went along.

Section 1, first loop, she got tangled with a rock wall (same line as the I would have done) and got stuck in the bike. (side bar, I have not figured out yet how my daughter has an uncanny ability to wedge body parts into areas of the bike that were not meant to have body parts there.) Took 3 of us to get her foot from between the forks and the exhaust and the bike off from here. Talk about a dad sitting there wondering if he made the right decision.........

Things went along, and she struggled quite a bit, but at the same time, she was in control. There were two times in the day where things got a bit wild, same section, same rock. Once she launched the bike off the top of the rock, a little more than she expected, the next time she came up short and Charlie and I had to catch.

She dropped 106 points in 33 attempts.

She was beat but really happy at the end. The quote of the day had to be when she called and was telling my mother about it.

"I did really good, I took last place!"

It would not have come out nearly so well had she not had all the support that we are so fortunate to recieve in the STRA.

I cannot say enough about Charlie taking the time and working with her throughout the day.

The others throughout the day offering encouragement and praise as she pushed through a section or worked on something difficult. The comments, of you go girl, etc. etc. really kept her going when she was wondering about it.

I have to thank Jessie especially for taking care of Dean for me so that I could concentrate my efforts on being close (but hopefully not in the way) so that if something went wrong I was there or if another spotter was needed etc.

I know Christina tried things that she would never have tried in practice no matter how much we coaxed her.

All in All, the best thing I can say about the entire weekend is it was

BRILLIANT!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

im 13, and i'll probs start riding trials this summer. I've been round more than i can count, since i was very young, but im a bit unsure of what to expect. What course will i be riding, what can expect in that (ledge size etc), and who else will be on it (what ages etc)? It all seems a bit daunting, and as ive not been off the bike properly yet, im wondering when my numbers up. im not assuming its gonna kill me btw, i just mean when is the time gonna come....

any basic riding tips would be appreciated as well