Wheelies

I cant seem to do slow wheelies. If I do them in first, I run out of throttle and it just screams once it speeds up, same with second. 3rd I can get big wheelies, high and long but they're too fast, power wheelies and not controlled and slow. What gear am I best on doing this in, and any tips on how to get used to using the back break? I know thats what I must do but as soon as I do the front end copmes straight down. Am I supposed to lean right back when I brake and come forward abit again when I blip throttle? And am I suposed to be holding a bite with my clutch? Any tips please

Doing good long wheelies takes hours and hours of practice, I'm pretty good at them at speed and very slow in first gear, practiced and practiced years ago with not much progress and suddenly one day it clicked, you may find this.

Back brake is really important to stop you looping out as well as the clutch, you have to lean back way more than you are comfy with at first and there is quite a narrow area you have to keep the bike in to wheelie well. To far forward and you have to use alot of throttle to bring the bike up, too far back and you have to use the brake or clutch to harshly and the front dives.

Practice is everything with this, I learnt mainly in second and third, use the clutch to control power not just the throttle and back brake when your about to go back to far, really good speed wheelies use a really steady thottle and control back and forward with the clutch and brake

I can do decemt size wheelies. I get the wheel up nice and high pretty good with a little bounce on the front and a flick out with the clutch whilst giving a little trottle, thats from a standing start. I've felt as what you say the narrow mark quite alot of times, where you feel any more and you will go over.. I panic and pull the clutch in and let it roll back down. I tend you find it I hit the back brake it knocks me off balance doing it or brings the wheel right down. I can wheely up hills pretty good, Its just when I get to the top i tend to be too vertical and either get lucky to carry it on or have to bring front end down

The panic point is where you need to be, you can go further back than that before it tips on its a***, get used to being there and gently use the brake to bring it back down a little. As I said, it takes alot of practice and alot of stepping off the back, if the front wheel comes down very quick then youve jabbed to much brake, try less next time till it floats down a little and becomes easy to relift with a slight throttle increase

I guess it all cmes down to experience rather than nack. I'll try learning some more and being comfortable with being at the point of near no return, ha. Should I be dipping my clutch as i feather the back brake or is it not nessisary?

I found that relaxing the tension in my knees also makes the front come down much easier. When I try for the super long wheelies, I try and lock my knees, the same as holding pressure.

But getting the upper body to lean back so far is quite scary in the beginning. I decided one day to see how far I can lean back at the start of a wheelie before I pick up to much speed. Just trust your back brake to bring you down should you go to far back. The effect of the back brake and the slight forward momentum is enough to stop you from flipping it.

I've had a couple of great ones where I'm able to kick/put pressure on the footpegs to manipulate the direction of the wheelie cause you are moving so slow. And most of the great feeling wheelies have been in 3rd gear.

• 6 months later...

What worked for me was....

One foot on the footrest and the other foot on the rear mudguard just behind where the seat would be. This allows you to get used to finding the tipping point and be comfortable with it, as you can use your weight transfer to raise and lower the front.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

I was the same as the Addict, just practise'd alot and one day it clicked. When i say practised alot i mean alot, iv'e been off the back more times than i would've preffered lol. My advice for getting the hang of the back brake is to do lot's of very small wheelie's and jab the back brake hard to bring it down quick do this over and over until your happy having one foot hanging over the brake, then just do bigger and bigger wheelie's until you can go long distance slow in 3rd and if it goes to far back you just ease the rear brake on. Simples :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

I am a newbie and I am getting the knack of the wheelie on flat and uphill but I seem to run into trouble downhill. eg: I have a log in the paddock only about 500mm high - the paddock has a gentle slope. I can approach the log from the downhill end - stop short or ride slow and pop the wheel to just nicely take me over and still be in control on the landing. But when I come downhill I always hit it way to fast with the rear end bucking as it clears and not much control. I have similar issues getting the front wheel over a ditch when the approach is downhill. Do I have to move further back .... any tips appreciated -- UPDATE - I just watched a video on the 'double blip' looks like that is an option - now I only have to learn how to do it :unsure:

Edited by keychange