Is It A Tlr?

dirtrider

I've just bought what is supposed to be a tlr200, but Im not sure if the engine is right for the bike. I may have bought a dog (wouldn't be the first time) but it was cheap and it runs so what the heck!

The frame number is MD09-5****** which I believe makes it a TLR200E built between '84 and'87?

The engine number is JD06E-1****** which I'm not sure about. Does anyone know if this is a tlr engine? Or how can I tell otherwise?

Since I'm new to the Honda scene (apart from road bikes way back) can anyone tell me when the tlr's were produced?

Looks like it is listed as a TL125 engine of 1988 vintage - copy the following link into Googles translation tools bit and translate from jap to english

The TL125 is the Jap market equivalent of a TLR200 - although its 125 not 200cc!

Gordon

http://www.honda.co.jp/news/1988/2880209.html

There is a website which lists all the Honda model codes but I cant find a link to it at the moment

Edited by g4321

I've just bought what is supposed to be a tlr200, but Im not sure if the engine is right for the bike. I may have bought a dog (wouldn't be the first time) but it was cheap and it runs so what the heck!

The frame number is MD09-5****** which I believe makes it a TLR200E built between '84 and'87?

The engine number is JD06E-1****** which I'm not sure about. Does anyone know if this is a tlr engine? Or how can I tell otherwise?

Since I'm new to the Honda scene (apart from road bikes way back) can anyone tell me when the tlr's were produced?

From my TLR200 Parts Book,which I'm studying as I type,

UK TLR 200's had Frame Prefix MDO9 5*****************

and engine prefix MD09E 5****************

So the engine doesn't seem to be a TLR200

Thanks for the info. It does seem that it is a 125 engine according to the engine number. It also feels like a 125 engine ie pretty gutless. Still it should be OK for the kids to ride having just progressed from a TY80 (great little bikes).

The next job is to find and fit the right carb. The one that's fitted is way too big and it's choking up.

RS mentioned some 22mm carbs advertised on ebay in the States for I think the SL or CL 125. Do you think one of these would suit?

The TL125 is the Jap market equivalent of a TLR200 - although its 125 not 200cc!

I assume that given the level of demand for the tlr that some may have been imported from Japan, USA etc as has happened for other types of bikes. If this is the case then does that mean that there may be a few bikes around fitted with the TL125 engine?

Thanks Big John I'll keep looking on ebay for a carb. Which shop sells TL125 carbs? I've not heard of B&J racing, whereabouts are they?