2002 290 Engine Running Very Rough

jamez

Bought it from abroad and wehn it arrived i noticed that the engine is running rough, clattering. I removed the flywheel cover and checked if the main bearing are worn and yes the flywheel was moving up and down alot.Yesterday I changed the main bearings and oilseals (the old ones were rusty and one of them makes alot of noise when you shake it) s i tought that was the problem, put the engine together and assembeled the bike (gave it water, trans oil etc.. and gave it a kickstart when my heart nearly stopped, the bike still had that annoying and worrying clatter.

Anyone has an idea what might be the problem?

also the bike came with the exhaust gasket missing, could that be the clatter?

Thanks

Need next size up on the piston? Maybe the sound you here is piston slap.

The top of your piston should have an A,B,C or D stamped in it.

My last rebuild I changed rings but not the piston, I have great compression, runs really nice, but makes one hell of a clatter due to piston slap............Yes I know my rings will wear out prematurely from it.

Much great Sherco Info. here

Does the noise go when you pull the clutch in?

If it does, its the clutch basket and plates, mine does it, it sounds bad but does not effect the running of the engine.

Edited by Mick

no it doesnt go when i pull the clutch, my friend has an 02 sherco which makes the same sound but not as loud as mine. its kinda annoying until im sure that there wont be more damage if I use the bike

Just had a look at my warped barrel & taken some photos which I'll try & work out how to upload

No real scuffs but there is a visible line which can be felt below the transfer ports which goes around below the exhaust as well, most noticeable by the front transfer. Also quite a step at the top of the ring travel