Bars And Fluids ;)

kevo

Hiya Fellas,

Well the long awaited time is drawing to an end and I am due to receive my new gasgas in 9 days (not bad since I ordered on 15th Jan.... groan...). I have a few questions that I hope you can help me out with as I need to go to the main Island to get stuff and its a bit of a chore. I only want to go there once in the next cpl of months if I can help it :P

First off, I need to change the bars for a higher set (I am 6' 3") so can anyone please tell me what diameter (mm) bars are standard on the 2010 250 Pro and what would be a good replacement set?

Second up, I need to stock up on oils and fluids. Please can any of you guys recommend which Oils etc for: Transmission, Brakes & clutch, Pre-mix?

Third up, Does the bike come with a "kill switch" as standard these days or is that an extra I should buy and fit before it disappears over the edge of a ravine?

Lastly, Spare plugs, Can you let me know what size and type of plugs most are most suitable?

If you think I have missed anything or can add any further advice, please do so as I will just print this thread off and take it with me.

Many thanks for your help,

kevo

Hiya Fellas,

Well the long awaited time is drawing to an end and I am due to receive my new gasgas in 9 days (not bad since I ordered on 15th Jan.... groan...). I have a few questions that I hope you can help me out with as I need to go to the main Island to get stuff and its a bit of a chore. I only want to go there once in the next cpl of months if I can help it :P

First off, I need to change the bars for a higher set (I am 6' 3") so can anyone please tell me what diameter (mm) bars are standard on the 2010 250 Pro and what would be a good replacement set?

Second up, I need to stock up on oils and fluids. Please can any of you guys recommend which Oils etc for: Transmission, Brakes & clutch, Pre-mix?

Third up, Does the bike come with a "kill switch" as standard these days or is that an extra I should buy and fit before it disappears over the edge of a ravine?

Lastly, Spare plugs, Can you let me know what size and type of plugs most are most suitable?

If you think I have missed anything or can add any further advice, please do so as I will just print this thread off and take it with me.

Many thanks for your help,

kevo

Kevo,

Here's some suggestions, and I'm sure others will have some also:

You have the large "tapered" bars (sometimes called "fat bars") common to most modern Trials bikes. I use a high bend Hebo bar (GasGas part #HR30009285P") and S-3 makes a nice bar clamp that raises the bars and has more adjustment that you might want to look into.

Riders here usually use Type-F ATF in the transmission, DOT 3/4 in the brakes, Magura mineral oil in the clutch (available from your GG dealer, KTM dealers and some mountain bike shops) and a full-synthetic premix oil at about 80:1 ratio (I use Castrol TTS in my bikes with good results).

Your bike comes with a kill-switch.

Standard plug should be an NGK BPR5ES (I use an NGK BPR5EIX set at .024").

There's a start.

Jon

Jon,

Brilliant stuff, thanks a lot.

I do not have a gasgas dealer in country (have had to import the bike in from europe - ouch!!!) so I will probably be looking to get a pair of Renthals, should I just ask for Renthal fat bars then? I have seen the S-3 clamps on-line but do not think I will be able to get those locally. Am I correct in thinking if I get a pair of Renthal 5.5'or 6's (from what I have heard) then I will not need the clamp anyway, or have I totally missed the concept here? Should be able to tour the bike shops in Singapore and pick up the other stuff you have mentioned no problem.

Thanks again, great help

kevo

Edited by Kevo

Kev - The stock bar clamps are two position. usually, they come set them up in the rearward, closer to the rider, position. If you remove them and flip them around you can adjust them front to back or visa-versa. If you go with the tall renthalls or stay stock, you may want to try the forward clamp position for more room front to back. There is no correct answer, and is a personal preference. Many tall riders find they get used to the stock bars. Im 6'2" and always liked the stock bars with the bars in the forward position on my 08. I personally found the front end plowed too much when I tryed the s3 risers. It may be (likely) that I just never got used to the change as I only tryed them for 1 ride and switched back.

Good luck with the new bike.

Hey Kevo

Paul Arnott at The Hell Team is the Australian importer for Gas Gas - I'm pretty sure he supplies all over Asia and they sotck S3 bits including the bar risers - I have them fitted to my GG.

his contact details are

arnoux@thehellteam.com

www.thehellteam.com

Paul Mac

Thanks for all the advice guys,

I couldnt find any riser clamps so will have to go mail order (Thanks for the explanation on this Laser1)

Couldnt find any Type F-ATF (most places had D-ATF), so ended up getting some Synthetic 10W/40, will that be a good enough alternative?

Managed to get some 100% synthetic 2T Pre-mix, Dot 4 brake & clutch fluid and a couple of NGK BPR5ES-11's.

All in allnot a bad day... now all I need is the bike.... 7 days and counting :P

Paulmac,

Thanks for the heads up on the hellteam, gonna check the site out now. My first order may be a set of bar risers and a spare rear mudgaurd.

All the best,

kevo

Thanks for all the advice guys,

I couldnt find any riser clamps so will have to go mail order (Thanks for the explanation on this Laser1)

Couldnt find any Type F-ATF (most places had D-ATF), so ended up getting some Synthetic 10W/40, will that be a good enough alternative?

Managed to get some 100% synthetic 2T Pre-mix, Dot 4 brake & clutch fluid and a couple of NGK BPR5ES-11's.

All in allnot a bad day... now all I need is the bike.... 7 days and counting :P

Paulmac,

Thanks for the heads up on the hellteam, gonna check the site out now. My first order may be a set of bar risers and a spare rear mudgaurd.

All the best,

kevo

Sorry to say kevo... you should never use synthetic oil in your Gasgas gearbox. Read this bulletin:

GasGas Pro Technical Bulletin

From factory the bikes come with GRO Gear Extrem 75W that is a:

producto01e.gif

ATF Dexron III is a good alternative.

-Jan

Edited by JanDyb

Jan,

Thanks for the link, seems like the 10W/40 is a definate no no then. Thats probably saved me a "red faced moment" Gawd knows where I am gonna find ATF Dexron III..

Bigfoot,

You made me check on the label of the DOT 4 Brake & clutch fluid that I bought, guess what? its non mineral so seems like putting that stuff in the clutch OS is a no no too, aw well at least it should be OK for the brakes

Cheers for the help lads, much appreciated.

kevo

Jan,

Thanks for the link, seems like the 10W/40 is a definate no no then. Thats probably saved me a "red faced moment" Gawd knows where I am gonna find ATF Dexron III..

kevo

Cant say how it is where you live of cause, but I had newer heard about ATF Dexron whatever before too. But when looking for it I found it "everywhere" because it is normal Automatic Transmission Fluid :P And quite cheap too.

An other alternative is plain mineral motor oil.

-Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Just a wee update,

got the bike a couple of weeks ago and got the bars, pegs and levers on in a jiffy.

got some red coloured dexron III (rated) ATF which seems to be fine.

been out a couple of times in a local quarry and am well happy with the bike and performance.

Throttle & power is nice and smooth and I havent dropped it yet. I am so glad that I changed

the order and went for the 250 instead of the 280cc.

2 plastic bolts on rear mudgaurd disappeared on first outing... now cable ties.

The bike starts well and engine ticks over lovely.

Just one problem.... the importer came round with a customs official a cpl of days ago and said there was an irregularity with the import papers, so they've took it away... i am gutted ;)

hopefully i should have it back in a week or so.

thanks again for all your help and advice,

Kevo

Edited by Kevo