Sharp Brakes

The brake pads have metallic bits in them to make them work when wet. By heating and then rapid cooling the pads with water it will anneal or soften the metallic pieces in the pads. this will make the brakes much sharper.

I don't think that it matters if the pads are new or old as long as there is some material left on them, however if the pads are worn out there will not be enough material left to have an effect.

I work at a place that does heat treating, and to get steel harder, you need to heat it up to a really high temperature and then drop it into water rapidly. We use pumps in our quench pools to fire at the hot steel to cool it down as quick as possible. If the bars are allowed to cool past a certain temperature you loose your hardness. you have set degree's you need the bars to be so they are neither too soft or too hard and brittle.

These sort of temps we are talking 800-900 degrees celcius so I doubt the heat off of brake pads would be enough to give the same effects. Maybe its more to do with the expanding and rapid contracting of the metal around the disk that gives it this effect.

Edited by jonnybmac

All I know is that it works...very well. You have to do it a couple of times to get the full benefit, but it will take a dull average performing brake and turn it into a super sharp stopper. :P

Its not my area of expertise but my understanding was that all the accumulated grunge and gunk gets cooked off.

All I know is that it works...very well. You have to do it a couple of times to get the full benefit, but it will take a dull average performing brake and turn it into a super sharp stopper. :P

Its not my area of expertise but my understanding was that all the accumulated grunge and gunk gets cooked off.

Agreed..I do a figure of 8 course on my drive,dragging the brakes,then the kids quench the pads with their drinks to watch the steam rise.

P.S. Ribena is a no-no.

• 5 weeks later...

• 2 months later...