Beta 200 06

hughes73

Brilliant bike - not too "rorty" and won't tear your arms out. Also very good at finding grip. Most climbs are fine for it, but don't expect miracles on massive 4th gear blasts if you weigh more than 14 stone. Best clubman bike out here and (also) IMO better than a 200 GG or Sherco.

As is often said on this site - ride it first to help you decide if it ticks the boxes. One thing for sure is that it will be softer than a 280 GG!! But then a 280GG will climb Everest !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had one brand new ine 06, awesome bike with the power of a 250. Mine had the usual Mikuni carb probems even from new and I eventually sold it after 6 months and bought a 200 GasGas as the clutch was awful and I could never get it to operate other than on or off - a real shame as the engine was brilliant even if you couldn't leave it pointing down hill if you wanted to start it again!

I see someone on here reckons to have a clutch fix, if that works and the carb is sorted it's as good a bike as you will find. Generally owned by older clubman riders and looked after - very good in the mud.

I've had mine for a little over two years and it's been a really good bike. I've not changed much on it other than to add S3 Hardrock pegs (they are much better), Boyesen reeds (better pick-up off the bottom) and to beef up the footpeg hangers (the single worst design in the history of engineering). The bike itself has been very reliable and apart from a bad main bearing that seemed to be a problem with many of that year Betas, all it's needed is one top end and repairs from self induced crashes. The club I ride with has trials that range from about 1000' altitude to near 6000' and the bike lacks a bit at the high altitude events with my 220 pounds. All in all I think you'd be really happy with the bike. I'd say the bike rides with a bit of front bias and (for me at least) works better in trials that are more "steer in tight turns and weave between the trees" rather than "blast up the giant bolders and hop from rock to rock"

Hope this helps.

Joe