Gasgas 280 Too Powerful?

jamez

Hey guys, trying to get trials into my country and my 12 year old cousin is interested, he used to ride a yamaha ty 80. he tried out my sherco 290 Which I saw it was abit too powerfull for him but I down want him to get a 125 and in 2 years he outgrow it beacuse its very difficult to sell it here.

Are there any ways to make a gasgas smoother / less powerfull?

James

A lad in my local practice was on a montesa 4stroke of his dads, wheelying and going up and down tight sections and hes only 12.. but then he was riding about on a 125. I feel it would be better for him to have the 125. Its a lighter bike and even the 12 year old te bike looke pretty big for him. He needs to be able to work the bike as well as make it go forward so I'd say a 125. That will do him for a canny few years learning

Edited by jonnybmac

Hey guys, trying to get trials into my country and my 12 year old cousin is interested, he used to ride a yamaha ty 80. he tried out my sherco 290 Which I saw it was abit too powerfull for him but I down want him to get a 125 and in 2 years he outgrow it beacuse its very difficult to sell it here.

Are there any ways to make a gasgas smoother / less powerfull?

James

Hi James

Curious: What is Your country? :)

In international youth (up to 18) competitions you are not allowed to ride bigger bikes than 125. Theres a reason for that.

In our country (Norway) everybody under 18 are riding 125`s. And they dont need anything bigger. My meaning is then that he will not outgrow the 125 in maybe 5-6 years. Go for a 125.

-Jan

Hi James

Curious: What is Your country? :)

In international youth (up to 18) competitions you are not allowed to ride bigger bikes than 125. Theres a reason for that.

In our country (Norway) everybody under 18 are riding 125`s. And they dont need anything bigger. My meaning is then that he will not outgrow the 125 in maybe 5-6 years. Go for a 125.

-Jan

That would be my advice too.

Just take a look at what the 125 Euro Youths are doing on theirs.

He has not said how big the kid is yet, I wish I had the 125`s of today when I was a kid! I`ve been riding trials since `72 and even riding todays 125's is no fun for me. De- tuning a sherco would be easier than the 280 gas gas. P.S. my 12 year old is 5' 11 and 170 lbs will be over 6' before he is 13. Some rules should not apply.He rides a 250. But I do believe world champions should start on 125's, but most are in this sport for the fun factor. just my 2 cents.