Fantic 200 Lowering Gears

ssdt1980

Hi

I've got a problem with my 200 in sections, the only usable gear is first, it's got a 10T front and 43T back. Any thoughts on how to lower the gearing to make second or even third usable in the sections, this was a real disadvantage at the weekend in muddy conditions.

Cheers, Tony.

Hi, is your bike a 156cc minerelli engine? If it is I lowered the gearing on mine by changing the size of the spockets, it now uses 11 tooth at the gearbox and 56 on the rear wheel.

I upped the rear sprocket by 4 teeth and it made a noticeable difference, now I can choose between 1st for tight grippy sections, 2nd for a bit more speed for climbs and even 3rd is possible if you can get a run up. If your bike has 10 tooth front sprocket then I would go up on the rear sprocket size, I think one tooth on the font is the same as 3-4 on the rear.Remember if you get a bigger rear sprocket then you will probably also need a longer chain.

Making the front smaller and the rear larger lowers the gearing and the opposite way round raises it. If you do lower the gearing it does affect the overall top speed and makes it very responsive at slow speed. Good luck Alan.

If you have a 520 (upgrtad) chain, then 9 is the smallest frt available. The tooth size really is irrelivant as the diam,eters count. A 9th 520 on the frt has the disadvantage that the chain cuts through the swing arm.- I wiould use 10T frt 53 back with a 428 pitch chain. You can go bigger on the rear for lower gearing also but I use 2nd alot on such a setup.

HTH