Ty 250 Mono Brake Plate

yamty

Hello

I have just broken my second front drum brake plate, i dont think either were hit off anything and the cracks on both of them are in exactly the same place as each other. The crack causes the brake to lock up.

Does anybody have any ideas what is causing them to breake ?

Cheers Lewis

The front brake plate is very prone to cracking, has happened to me as well, Nigel Birkett sells a replacement/upgrade, totally different to the std item, much stronger, and gives a better brake. I have a spare one that I will list on fleabay shortly if thats any help?

Front brake plate your'e after is a late 70's YZ250 with outside Aluminium arm. This brake plate fits inside the standard TY wheel but needs two modifications. MOD.(1) Extend the existing torque lug on the left-hand fork leg by machining a small aluminium extension to fit snug inside the YZ brake plate. N.B. ( This needs to be done as there's not enough on the standard lug to fit in the YZ brake plate). You can also use the twin leading shoe brake from the last generation aircooled YZ's.

MOD.(2) The second-hand YZ brake plates i've seen usually have the threaded adjuster boss broken off , so all you do is make a small angled plate in steel to replace it drill / bolt through the brake plate to attatch. Also you can use a early Yamaha RD200 front brake cable(about the right length ).

I hope this has answered your enquiry. Regards Griz.